cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MMartyn87
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

No Phone Line and Broadband Speed at 0.2 - Not happy with level of service at present

Afternoon,

I ordered the phone, TV, and Broadband with an activation date of the 5th December. I then received a text message to advise that a phone line engineer will visit between 1pm-6pm, I booked half a day off work but no one got in touch.

At about 7pm I checked my phone line and the line was dead.

I then phoned through to see what was happening and the customer service kept putting me through to the wrong teams and from my mobile I was on the phone for just over an hour.

I am not happy that I had to make this phone call from my mobile when the line was meant to be sorted. After speaking to the delivery team, he advised me that an engineer did come but didn't need to come into the property and the phone line should be working.

NO communication about this on the day and after checking this with the engineer he advise he would raise a fault after we went through some tests.

we are now Tuesday the 11th and I have not heard back.

I assume from the fault on the line I am only getting 0.2 download speed on my Internet and the broadband line keep disconnecting and reconnecting again.

As mentioned before being a new BT customer my experience has not been very good at the moment and I hope you can put this right.  

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: No Phone Line and Broadband Speed at 0.2 - Not happy with level of service at present

Welcome to this forum.
This is a customer to customer forum only, where forum members can help each other with BT Retail products and services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all post are read.

Is your phone now working? As a fault on the phone line will affect broadband speed.

0 Ratings
MMartyn87
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Re: No Phone Line and Broadband Speed at 0.2 - Not happy with level of service at present

Thank you Keith for the quick response. The phone line is still not working at present and I have not heard anything back since I raised this on the 5th December. I am currently at work, so I assume I will need to click on the link when I am at home, when connected to the BT domain.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

The link on my signature, is just a collection of my own help pages, the links below come directly from BT, so you should be able to use them.

You should be able to run a test on your line from this link from the BT website.

Reporting Phone Faults

It does sound like there is one wire disconnected somewhere, as broadband will just about work under those conditions.

It would be best to do a couple of checks yourself, using this BT link, to make sure the problem is not within your own wiring.

Fixing phone faults

0 Ratings
MMartyn87
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 21

Thank you Keith for all your help, Phone line engineer came out today and confirmed that the fault was outside the property and he had to fit in new wires. The phone line is now working and I am alot happier. I just need to sort out the time I lost between my activation date and being resolved.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 21

This page should help with any claims.

Customer service guarantee

0 Ratings
MMartyn87
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 21

Thanks Keith, I will take a look. The internet hasnt dropped out since I have been home at 6:20 but the download speed is still only recording 0.24.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

Your broadband should improve now that the line is fixed, but it may take a few days.

What are your ADSL Statistics

0 Ratings
MMartyn87
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Here are my ADSL Statistics

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:50:39
Downstream: 287.1 Kbps
Upstream: 440 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 14.1 dB / 27.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 27.7 dB / 14.6 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 18.1 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 563 / 17
CRC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 32
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 7
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

I can see the problem, you are in a banded profile, you speed will eventually be about 16512Kbs.

This is a result of the line fault.

You must leave your home hub turned on and connected to your phone line for at least 10 days.

During that time, do not reset or disconnect it, even to do a speed test.

If your download speed has not increased after that time, then return to this thread for assistance.

It should start changing within a few days.

Thank you

PS I am going to move this thread to the ADSL board, where it can be monitored by a number of our regulars Smiley Wink

0 Ratings