cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

No Ring

Go to solution

I am a new and annoyed BT customer. When connected the BT Engineer left us with no landline, when a second engineer came he told me that my phone extension would no longer work and only the master socket worked. He showed me that I would then get a dial tone. However the phone works but does not ring. 

The phone worked before transferring to BT

Can you please help

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: No Ring

Go to solution

What happens if you ring your number from a Mobile, do you hear ringing tone?

If you do, then pick up your phone and see if the call connects, even if it does not actually ring.

Dial 17070 on your phone, and make sure that the number that is read back, matches your phone number.

Have you tried plugging the phone into the test socket which is located behind the master socket cover?

Have you tried a different phone plugged into the master socket?

The engineer would be from Openreach, not BT Retail.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks I have tried the tests and none of them work. I don't have a different phone to try but it worked perfectly when connected via talktalk. I can call the landline and connect, it just doesn't ring

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@richybb2 wrote:

Thanks I have tried the tests and none of them work. I don't have a different phone to try but it worked perfectly when connected via talktalk. I can call the landline and connect, it just doesn't ring

Thanks. That would appear to be a  very common problem with the line card in the exchange, not providing any ringing current, but its wise to try the test socket first, if you have not already done that.

What does your master phone socket look like?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegKeith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

The socket is type 7. I have removed the front and tried the test socket with no difference to the ringing 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@richybb2 wrote:

The socket is type 7. I have removed the front and tried the test socket with no difference to the ringing 

Then it does look like a fault in the exchange, if your phone was ringing before. Your last provider had their own equipment installed in the exchange.

I am surprised that the Openreach engineer did not check for an incoming ring, with their own portable phone.

All you can do is to ring BT on 151, and say that your phone does not ring but it connects when you pick it up.

All of the BT exchange equipment is very old, and problems with faulty ports on a line card are very common, although it should have been checked.

Its a simple job for an Openreach Frame Technician to move your line to a different equipment number. It will not affect your phone number, as the data in the exchange is changed at the same time.

The extension wiring was probably disconnected when the socket was fitted, but you can re-connect it yourself, to the extension terminals located on the left, behind the front plate.

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@richybb2 

Please could you update this thread when the problem is resolved.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

The issue was resolved when the openreach engineer came, third time lucky. She said our line had tripped out at the exchange and everything works OK now. Thanks for the help with this 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

"The line had  tripped out in the exchange" that's a new one on me. I wonder what the real fix was? 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings