cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

No broadband connection - how long is usual to wait?

I've had no broadband connection since Sat 16th May. I logged the fauly on Sunday 17th and after several calls/days/promises that the fault will be fixed i still have no connection on 21st May - 4 days after I logged the fault. The team I speak to expect me to be at home whenever they call so they can perform the tests needed, i understand that I have to be there to complete the restarts/resets of the hub but there doesn't seem to be any appreciation that most people have to work and aren't at home 24/7 to take a call when it suits BT. To top it off when I spoke to "team 2" yesterday, before they would agree to send an engineer, the staff member told me she needed to transfer me to another team so I could renew my contract with BT!!!! When I wasn't happy to do that she agreed that instead I would need to purchase a new hub as my hub is no longer in warranty and they need to check it isn't a hub fault before they can send an engineer. All I want is for my broadband to be fixed which I don't think is asking too much when I pay for a "service" but at the moment I'm totally exasperated with the "service" i'm getting.....It's now Thursday 21st, i've still got no connection and ive now got to wait for a new hub to arrive, which i've had to pay for and "may take until Friday 22nd to arrive" but "hopefully" should be here today. Is it normal for people to have to wait this long for their broadband to be fixed? There's been plenty of apologies but no offer to refund the charges for the period i've had no service and i'm totally dismayed with how long this farce is taking to sort out. I've got little faith that a new hub will fix the problem, so its looking likely it'll be well into next week before I get sight of an engineer..............

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: No broadband connection - how long is usual to wait?

are you connected to the thest test socket or somewhere else?  does your phone work?  if so try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

if you are no longer in contract but are on a rolling monthly contract then any discount you had has ceased and you are probably now paying standard cost for your package.  you could renew your package and get a deal which will save money or if you stick with rolling monthly then it gives you the ability to leave with 1 month notice or 14 days if using MAC code

It is openreach who are responsible for the phone lines not your ISP Bt Retail and the service is normally 3 working days after the day of notification

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, the broadband hub is connected to the main telephone socket which is also the only socket in the house. The phone is working.

Thanks for clarifying about the contract, but what has that got to do with fixing a fault and why do they expect me to renew a contract before they'll send an engineer? It feels like they im expected to purchase something before the fault will be fixed...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

I don't see why you have to renew your contract to get engineer visit but if the problem was your hub then as the warranty had expired then you would get charged £129.99 for callout just like you will do if the problem is in your setup

did you try the test socket?

did you try a factory reset using the recessed button on the back?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

I haven't tried the test socket but I have done a factory reset which didn't fix it. So if I have to have an engineer to fix the problem i'm going to have to pay 129.99 call out? We don't even know that it is the hub I just think the person I spoke to has run out of ideas and so said we should try the hub next!!! I've purchased a new hub which is on it's way so surely if the new hub doesn't work then the issue isn't to do with the hub and I shouldn't have to pay for an engineer? This is getting worse the more I hear at the moment!!!!!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

if you try test socket and problem still exists then probably the problem is not in your and as such you would not be charged for engineer visit

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Can you tell me what to do to try the test socket ? I've had a look and there's screws holding the cover on... What do I need to do and what should I expect as a result of this test? Thanks for your help...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

does your master socket look like this  test socket.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

This is the test you need to do.

Image1.jpg

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

I've unscrewed the cover but it looks nothing like ur picture inside. There are wires and a fuse but no test socket. The master socket hole is in the middle not the lower half of the socket
0 Ratings