cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alichat
Message 1 of 7

No broadband in my area

Hello . . Can anyone help

I have just been told that the BT vision package that was due to go live is not possible in my area, unless I want to pay for additional work to be carried out totalling £52,000  YES  £52,000!  I wasn't given any other options. I'm not technical but should I be able to have Internet access with ADSL???  Help I need to work from home occasionally    Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
ttyrie
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: No broadband in my area

Hi,

Woow........ £52,000 just to get broadband- BT do mobile broadband if it covers your area and you could get tv from an alternative provider called British *** Broadcasting..........

0 Ratings
SUBARU555
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

as far as i know bt vision needs 3mb to work so you should be able to get bbinternet  it might be to slow to support bt vision that is all. i had the same problem a couple of years ago but i can get bb internet 600k ish.

ring bt and ask for the option 1 internet package they will do a line test and give you a rough speed you should be able to get.

hope this helps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
alichat
Message 4 of 7

No mobile coverage either . .   i dont live in the back of beyond, just a bit of a dip!

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
alichat
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for the advise - will give them a call tomorrow.

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

As Subaru555 says, you need a minimum speed (2Mbps, not 3...) before they'll provide a Vision service, but that's not to say that you can't get broadband at all.

Personally, I'd just go ahead and order a basic broadband package. Once it's working, you'll be able to get a real world idea of what the line is capable of, and whether or not Vision is possible. And if you really are so remote from the local exchange that you can't get broadband at all, it won't cost you anything and you'll know exactly where you stand.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

If you live too far from the exchange, then broadband simply won't work. Unfortunately for you, BT is not required to provide broadband. They only offer it where it's profitable for them.
0 Ratings