cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregStrutton
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 11

No connection, BT. One very angry customer

I got up extra early today as I have a mamouth amount of work to complete before the bank holiday weekend. My Connection has been a constant 8meg for over a week now. But today, I have no connection at all. I'm having to post this via my iPhone via mobile Internet as it's quicker/works.

The router stats shows 8,124 down, 448 up. Noise margin is 7.
Tried www.speedtester.bt.com but it won't load. Ran www.speedtest.net which took about 15mins to load before I could run a test. It reported a downstream of 0.08mbps and upstream of 0.10mbps. That's slower than an old 56k modem!

WTF?

I'm angry. Why is this happening again and again? Ofcom here we come, lucky I have a record if all these episodes.
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: No connection, BT. One very angry customer

Hi GregStrutton,

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry your having problems. Can you drop me an email to forum.moderation.team@bt.com with your account details and a link to this thread for reference and I'll check what's going on.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Pasha_Selim
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

Greg, this started happening to me a while ago, like 4 months. Are you using a HomeHub? If so, you might like to try a power cycle - unplug, wait 1 minute plug in again and wait for all the lights to come on again (about 3 minutes). It worked on 2 or 3 occasions for me (Hub 1.5, v 6.2.6.E). You'll have to set up BB Talk again, but that's quick and easy.

-- -.-- / ... .. --.
Value Added Guest (Inspiring Not Aspiring)
Rate a post if you like it! - just click the star under the user's name on the left. (N.B. ratings facility no longer available in Forum Help and Suggestions; nor is it available in the Lounge)

0 Ratings
GregStrutton
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 11

In frustration, I unplugged my homehub and went out for a drive to calm down.

When I came back about 40 mins later, I plugged back in and the router stats were similar (8,123kpbs/448kbps - noise margin was 5.9).  The IP address is different and my speed is at a useable 2meg.  Speedtest.net shows a 1.6mb downstream.  I just ran the bt speed tester which has been unavailable for much of the day.  This showed that my IP profile is set at 2000 (which makes sense, kind of).  And the maximum connection I can get is 2000, even though I'm connected at 8128.  This is new to me as it normally matches what the router stats show, could it be that I'm now capped at a max 2meg, even though I can & normally connect at 8meg?

0 Ratings
rustins
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

If the problem has cleared then your line profile will creep back up.

Anyway isn't 0.08Meg actually 80K which is faster than a 56K modem Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
GregStrutton
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

Your correct, my IP profile will creep back up,  As it does every 3 weeks or so.  But my question still remains, why don't BT fix the real problem that is causing this and stop fecking blaming everything/everyone else!  I know have 3 BT hubs and a list of calls and emails.

As for the 80k, think your also spot on.  Although what I was getting seemed slower than a 56k modem.  Especially when its dropped from 8meg.

I have been a BT customer for a few years now.  When I first signed up I was promised my line would be able to support up to 5mb.  For years I had no problems and my router always connected at around 4.5meg and that would be my quickest download.  This wasn't a problem for me as it was reliable.

However, since I moved into a neighbouring village I took my account with me.  When activating I had renew my contract and was promised up to 8 meg.  The first week I connected at 8meg and had 7 megs download for about three weeks.  It's been hell since then.  I get drop outs what seems every 3 weeks or so.  Each time, my connection bottoms out to an unusable speed.  Which affects my BT Vision too!

Just totally fed up.  If cable was available, I would be so tempted to move.  But as I only have a phone line, even if I do move, I know the problem will go with me where ever I go.

Depressing really.

0 Ratings
rustins
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

The thing I cant work out is that you are connection at a good speed with a reasonable noise margin but then you are saying you get disconnected. Does your Hub show a steady decline in the line SYNC speed and/or errors ?

Does the broadband actually lose Sync ?

Can you post your Hub Stats.

0 Ratings
rustins
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

By the way when you did that speedtest what did it say your IP profile was ?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 11

Before you go steaming in and blame BT have you ensured that the problem is not something within your premises?

You need to test this with your HH plugged directly into the test socket, your speed has been dropped because of a fault on the line, which could be something within your own wiring or home setup but equally can be a line fault.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
GregStrutton
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

@Devon_Dave It's not something in the house. I have gone through the process of switching every electrical item on & off within the house. Took the best part of two days to do. Nothing affected the noise margin.
0 Ratings