cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
liam90210
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

No connection - can't ping the BT DNS server but can ping Google's

My smarthub is showing a blue light but I have no connection - factory reset hasn't made any difference.

If I ping the BT DNS server 81.139.57.100  the request times out.

However if I ping Google's server 8.8.8.8 the request works fine

BT customer service are sending out a new hub but is that going to do anything or is it a problem with BT's DNS server.

Is there anyway to switch the DNS server setting yourself?  

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: No connection - can't ping the BT DNS server but can ping Google's

not on the hub try changing the DNS on your devices changing your hub will not help you could also try 1 hub restart leaving the hub off for about 30 minutes then restarting it you may then get a new DNS allocated
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 4

The BT DNS servers do not respond to a ping. This is not a fault, but by design.

To test whether the DNS server is working use nslookup instead of ping. For example, try nslookup bbc.co.uk 81.139.57.100 and then nslookup bbc.co.uk 8.8.8.8. This will ask the BT and Google DNS servers the IP address of BBC website. Both should work, but obviously if the BT DNS server doesn't respond there's a problem reaching it.

Regards
abernal
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Hi,

I had the same problem as you. My situation was that it was a faulty smart hub. Call the Broadband Helpdesk and get them to diagnose it and to arrange to send you a new one.

The DNS settings should be set to automatic and should pick up any connection to it. Try resetting your network adapter as well as a factory reset of the hub, as they will ask you to do that. Also if you have a different computer, this will help you conduct a fair test.

As I am not reliant on the replacement in my case, I am purchasing an Openreach modem to use with my home hub 4 in case this one goes down again. I am also considering to use a different brand of router to get the best out of my connection.

0 Ratings