cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

No dial tone, constant line busy when trying to call in to the line and no broadband

Hi
We had a power cut overnight and when I awoke this morning I found I had no broadband connection. I did further checks as suggested online with BT before reporting a fault, is it likely to be a BT problem as I really don't want to have to be paying out for this especially when it was all working absolutely fine yesterday evening. The area line checks etc all seem to come back as no fault found
I also have no dial tone and when I remove face plate to try the test socket I still have no dial tone.
When I try to call into the line from my mobile it just constantly comes back as line busy however I know no one is on the line
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: No dial tone, constant line busy when trying to call in to the line and no broadband

Please help if possible as can't get an engineer visit until Thursday afternoon and I've got 2 kids that are going nuts at the thought of having to converse with me rather than with friends over wifi!! They also aren't able to get on and do their homework although it's me that's bothered they can't do that rather than them!!!!
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Re: No dial tone, constant line busy when trying to call in to the line and no broadband

Welcome to this customer to customer forum @Peanutbutterjelly

Which one of these matches your master phone socket?

nte.jpg or oldnte.jpgor adslface.jpg ornewnte.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

It's like the first image 🙂
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

@Peanutbutterjelly wrote:
It's like the first image 🙂

Do you have any other sockets, and is anything else plugged into those sockets?

All extensions should be wired from the back of that bottom section that you have removed. But some old phone installations had extensions joined in before the master socket, which would not be isolated when you are using the test socket.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

No we haven't got any other sockets so nothing else is plugged in anywhere. It is a fairly new socket I presume as the house is only 3 years old
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

@Peanutbutterjelly wrote:
No we haven't got any other sockets so nothing else is plugged in anywhere. It is a fairly new socket I presume as the house is only 3 years old

If you have tried a phone directly into the test socket, and there is no dial tone, then it has to be an external fault. Why it happened after a power cut, is anybody`s guess.

You will just have to wait until Openreach visit.

Thursday afternoon is within the three working days for Openreach to deal with a fault. Its probably a short circuit somewhere.

0 Ratings
Harji
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Report the fault on a mobile by calling 0800 800 151.

Its also best to check at the test socket, to prove the problem is not on your internal wiring.

test socket.jpg

0 Ratings