cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

No dial tone - dubious looking master socket - should I fix before engineer visit?

Hi all,

I usually have no dial tone, broadband is very erratic, for the past few days at least. If I receive an inbound call, the phone rings, but on answering the line becomes very very noisy, the call gets cut off, and then I get a dial tone. At some point the dial tone is gone, and back to a silent line, which I cannot dial out from.

Using the BT website to check my line, it says the fault is most likely in my premises (I live in a flat). I don't agree, because having plugged a brand new phone into the master socket it makes no difference. Also nothing has changed in the flat, so am thinking it must be an external fault.

I have booked an engineer to come on Wednesday morning, but having looked at the master socket wiring, it is a bit dubious. Although I don't think it's related, I would like to tidy this up if possible.

Here is the current setup (in a broom cupboard by the front door):

sockets A B.jpg

As you see, there is a wire linking socket A to socket B. This is because historically there were two independent BT lines in the flat, but when I moved in (7 years ago), both lines were inactive. When I asked BT to supply a line, they activated socket A (on the left), but I asked them instead to activate socket B (on the right) as this socket has an extension socket into the main flat area. An engineer was sent, he checked both local BT cabinets but could not find the source for socket B, and so he installed this piece of wire! I was a bit concenred about this approach at the time, but the end result worked fine, and I could use the extension socket in the flat to provide Broadband, BTV services etc, for several years.

Here's how it looks inside:

socket A.jpg

Hopefully you can see that the incoming wires for pins 5 & 2 have instead been joined to thie interconnecting cable, that takes them across to socket B:

socket B.jpg

And in socket B, you can see the interconnect cable from socket A to connect onto pins 5 and 2. You can also see the outbound white cable that connects to the extension socket, which is the only socket I actually use in normal use.

So I wonder, is this setup OK ? Will the BT engineer kick up a fuss about this when he comes on Wednesday to investiagte the line fault? Can I tidy this up somehow? I have basic wiring & DIY skills, if I know what to do.

Thanks!

Simon.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: No dial tone - dubious looking master socket - should I fix before engineer visit?

i would leave well alone and let the engineer deal
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 6

Re: No dial tone - dubious looking master socket - should I fix before engineer visit?

That's very shoddy workmanship. The old LJU3 master socket should have been replaced with a NTE5a and the "link" to the other socket should not just be a bit of cabinet jumper wire but with a bit of cable cleated or stapled to the wood.

If you wanted the extensions fed from the cable on the left working it would have been better for him to have removed the left socket and extended the cable (joining in a small connection box called a BT80) and fitted a new NTE5a on the right.

Hopefully the OR engineer that comes out to fix your problems will realise that this bodge has not been done by you and will sort the current mess of an installation out.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Thanks, that's exactly it. I really don't want these two boxes sitting there, given one is redundant. And would much prefer a proper modern master socket. I wonder if the engineer will be willing to fix this, or will they want to charge me some kind of installing fee to do it?

On a separate note, my line is better today, dial tone is now back, but line is still noisy and broadband very intermittent, orange light flashing most of the day. I fear if the fault goes away before the engineer comes, will they try and charge me for the visit anyway?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 6

Two are linked. If line is noisy it's a bad connection or broken wire. This will cause your broadband to drop.

Like I said above, the OR engineer should be able to see that the lash-up wasn't done by you (the link wire is cabinet jumper wire) and should fix it without thinking about charges. If the fault is somewhere else internally you may have to make him/her a cuppa and just argue that you couldn't isolate your internal wiring as no NTE was fitted. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

well, the engineer came, and fixed my line, it was an external cable fault. Broadband connection is much more stable now, so all good on that front.

But he wouldn't touch my master box wiring, he said "ah, its not too bad, I've seen a lot worse....." and he would not budge. Oh well.

0 Ratings