Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rlovel
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

No dial tone

Go to solution
Hi just realised I have no dial tone and rang bt. They agree there is a fault on the line but want me to agree to engineer charges of over £100 before they will even check their exchange or the phone line. I simply don't have that kind of money. If I don't agree they will not proceed with my fault and I am left without a landline - any advice please.
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: No dial tone

Go to solution

Welcome to the forum. You will be charged if an engineer calls and finds the problem is caused by your equipment and not Openreach's, or if damage has been caused on your property. Damage aside, any fault up to and including the master socket is down to Openreach, anything your side is your responsibility.

The helpdesk warning is given so that customers cannot claim they were unaware there would be a charge if their equipment is faulty; it does not mean you will automatically be charged. It sounds as though there is a line fault, but you can check by connecting a phone to the test socket behind the master socket faceplate. If there's still no dial tone the fault is on the Openreach side.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hi Rlovel,

BT Retail are just making you aware of the [Openreach] Engineer Callout Charge if the fault is found within your property (ie your internal wiring or an issue with your equipment) or damage to your property as this your responsibility

You should not be charged if the fault is external ie on the Openreach "Last Mile" infrastructure or within the exchange.

To Test whether the fault is within your responsibilty or if it is on the Openreach or BT Retail side of things is to connect your landline phone into your TEST Socket.

The TEST socket if found behind the removable faceplate of the BTNTE5 Master socket (see image below for clarification)

If there is still no dial tone whle connect to the TEST socket and that you have tried another handset, then the fault will more likely be Openreach's and BT Retails responsibilty.

If there is a dail tone present when connect to the TEST socket, then it may well be an issue with your internal wiring and therefore may be charged the Engineer Callout Charge.

You will have to accept that you are aware of the Engineer Callout Charge if the fault is found within the boundaries of your responsibility to have an engineer come out to your property for futher investigation.

Have a look at this guide here on troubleshooting the phone fault to make sure that the fault is external: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9812

Here is some info about the Engineer Callout Charge http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/345

Edit: Sorry 

Rlovel
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
Hi thank you very much for ur helpful response. We have had ago on the test socket and still no line so I feel much more confident to accept the possible charge. Again thank you
0 Ratings
Rlovel
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Thank u for taking the time to help. Done the test and there is still no dial tone. Picture helped. Thank you.
0 Ratings