cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 32

No internet connectivity when connected to BTOpenzone or BTFON - widespread functionality problem

Having moved to BT and paid the extra £10 a month over O2, to allow my mobile device to access BTOpenzone and BTFON, I am finding it extremely difficult to get my money's worth.

The BTFon app has only twice managed to automatically connect to and gain internet access. Another couple of times, when mucking about with Safari (it's an iPod Touch) I've managed to stumble across the BTOpenzone landing page and manually log on.

But most of the time, while the BTOpenzone and BTFON networks can be joined in Settings (and shows a tick) then Safari says that I am not connected to the INternet, and BTFon will come up with either "this wifi hotspot is temporarily unavailable" or "not connected to the internet".

This is now even the case when I am at home and connected to my on HH3, the BTFON and BTOpenzone connections will just not allow internet access or come up with the Openzone landing page.

Now in the case of my own HH3, checking the IP address  I note that it starts with 10 as in 10.227.71.139, when connected to BTFon or Openzone (it's 192 when directly connected to the SSID) and the router is 10.227.71.137. There are just the two DNS entries 192.168.22.22 and 192.168.22.23.

The sticky above says that the IP shouldn't start with 10, and that the HH3 needs reset.

Now, the HH3 is still just a few weeks old, and I am not inclined to reset it as I can access the normal SSID network anyway. But it occurs to me that if it requires a reset so soon, then most folks' HHs will also be in this position. It also means not only that no-one can use my own BTFON and explains why most others are unavailable to me when I am roaming.

If that is the case I am wondering why I bothered paying the extra to move to BT and has huge implications for the functionality of BTFON in general.

If the above is all correct then I think that BT should sort out the firmware and roll out to all HHs automatically that are opted in to (or not opted out of)  BTFON. the firmware should identify what it is that makes the homehub issue IP adresses starting 10 instead of 192, and fix that without a reboot. 

This will then allow devices to connect, without requiring users to try and find the one HH in the area that does not require rebooting.

Of course I will be delighted to be proven wrong and that there is some simple solution to the above!

Stuart

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 32

Re: No internet connectivity when connected to BTOpenzone or BTFON - widespread functionality proble

If you're connected to your home hub SSID, your IP should start with 192.xxx.xxx.xxx

If you're connected to a BT Fon or BT Openzone SSID, your IP should start with 10.xxx.xxx.xxx

If you ever check your device and it's connected with a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address, then that means you aren't actually connected wirelessly. It's a self allocated IP address that a device gives itself when there is no connection.

The 10.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address is the correct one when using Openzone or BT FON. It's the IP address I ALWAYS have on any of my devices when I'm using the service.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 32

Re: No internet connectivity when connected to BTOpenzone or BTFON - widespread functionality proble

I almost forgot to mention, if you're connected to BT Fon or Openzone and you have the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address (which it seems you are) then you shouldn't be getting a blank page when starting safari. If it's happening at multiple locations, then it's generally the device (your iPhone/iPad) causing a problem.

Fortunately, these problems are nearly ALWAYS fixed by a full delete of the cache, history and cookies.

On an apple device, go to: Settings - Safari - clear history, clear cookies, clear cache.

Once you've done that, go to Settings - WiFi and find BT FON and press the little blue arrow on the right of it. It'll take you into the IP address screen. At the top of this scren, it should say 'forget this network'. Select that and it'll take you back into the wifi list. Do teh same for the BT Openzone wireless network too. It won't remove them both from the list, as your device will still be detecting FON/Openzone as WiFi networks in range, but it wil delete any ol saved network settigns the device has for them.

After this, reconnect to BT FON/BT Openzone and open Safari. Hopefully that should fix your problem.

Good luck!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 32

Thanks for advice, but

From the most recent sticky above

"

2. Broadband hub has cached IP addresses but you are getting an IP address beginning with 10 & the DNS details 192.168.22.22 & 192.168.22.23.

Solution: The Home Hub needs to be reset. Find details of how to reset the hub here The hub will turn itself off & back on & the BT FON & BT Openzone firmware will be removed. At this point you will need to opt out and then back in to Fon.  This can be done via www.btfon.com."

Tried the Safari history clear thing but no joy, and that doesn't explain why the BTFon app still says "this wifi hotspot is temporarily unavailable" etc. I would have thought it would be separate from Safari.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 32

I'm connected to and using BT Openzone right this second on my iPhone. My IP address is 10.xxx.xxx and I have those DNS pairs too.

photo.PNG

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 32

Hmm so the sticky is wrong? BTW my search domain just says "home"

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 32

I'm looking in the attached devices on the HH3 and can see the iPod while it is connected through the main SSID. When connected via BT Fon or Openzone, it disappears off the wireless list, and doesn't reappear in any guise. This may be normal.

One tip I could not follow was to uncheck the option to always use the same IP for a device, it always reverts back to checked.

I know I am connected to the HH BT Fon as the full signal strength icon appears on the iPod. It will just not give internet connectivity.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 32

Although I'm not an i'anything' user, did you do this when you first used the app?

taken from http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/btfon-wi-fi/id384404559?mt=8

Here's how to use it for the first time:
1. Download and open the app and then click on ‘I’m a BT broadband customer’
2. Type in your @btinternet.com email address and password then read and accept the T’s and C’s. This will automatically opt you in to BT Fon
3. When you’re in a BT Fon or BT Openzone hotspot for the first time, click on Settings on your iPhone home screen, then Wi-Fi and select BT Fon or BT Openzone (you won’t need to do this again but must do this to use the app for the first time)
4. Open the BT Fon Wi-Fi app and you will automatically be logged in
5. If you want to connect to your Home Hub rather than BT Fon, you simply click settings on your iPhone menu screen, select Wi-Fi, and then choose your Home Hub

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 32

Yep. It does work very occasionally, but doesn't ever seem to on my own HH. And if it doesn't work on BT Fon app it equally doesn't work when manually choosing the hotspot and trying to arrive at the landing page on Safari.

I see that the BT Fon app gets a lot of poor reviews on iTunes, though I wonder how much of it is due to the app and how much due to the HH just not allowing any internet connectivity!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 32

I'm having the same problem... so please can you explain in simple plain english because I havent a clue what you are talking about?

many thanks! Smiley Happy

0 Ratings