cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
psb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

No longer getting HD channels

I have been using my Youview box for a couple of years now I think and its been perfect, over the last couple of weeks the HD channels(BBC1, 2, ITV, 4, 5) were pixelating and stopping altogether. 

I did notice that maintencae was being done on the Heathfield transmitter so I put it down to that  but even after that has finished it continued to do it. 

I have tried retuning but now I just get 'no channel' when selecting 101, 102 etc.  I have tried a factory reset but it didnt help.

Its the small you view box and I can view all HD channels fine thorugh my TV's built in freeview.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: No longer getting HD channels

They may have increased the transmitter power.

See Picture breakup or missing FreeView channels

0 Ratings
psb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks i'll give an attenuator a try, I do get 100% on both strength and quality on SD channels so you could be right.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@psb wrote:

Thanks i'll give an attenuator a try, I do get 100% on both strength and quality on SD channels so you could be right.

Its worked for most people, 100% is too much.

I expect that they have increased the transmitter power, or improved the aerial array.

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

Thankfully I've never had any issues since the digital switchover with 100% signal strength and quality on either my Youview box or television tuner but I do know there are a lot of people who have run into problems.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

It depends on whether its really 100% or 100% plus, as that as far as it goes.

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

Indeed @Keith_Beddoe. I only threw that nugget in for anyone else who might wonder why 100% may have worked before but doesn't now. As you correctly say the figures only go up to 100 but it can most certainly be 100+ if the signal has been boosted further by work at your aerial or improvements at the transmitter.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

I agree. When digital TV was in its infancy, I used to work on the TV side of things, and one of the measurements we used to do, was something called "Eye Height". This was done on an oscilloscope, and measured on a overlay scale.

It was a source of eye strain Smiley Wink

This measurement determined the likelihood of an error free transmission link, and took into lots of factors like group delay (ghosting on TV signal). Overall signal level was an important factor, as you could have a good signal, but a poor "eye height"

For some bedtime reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_pattern Smiley Wink

See the multipath example.

0 Ratings