cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john237084
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

No phone line and intermittent broadband for over a month!

It would appear that this fault has been reported before, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience of very poor response time and customer service?

We first found the fault on 15/07, but due to being away we reported it on 22/07. The fault is relating to the inability to both make and recieve calls. When people call us we get a ring tone, but when we pick up we get a dialing tone and there's nobody there. As well as this, the broadband has also been intermittent and just to add insult to injury, we are supposed to get BT Sport, but that doesn't work either, with a message referring us to use a fault code!

Meanwhile BT continues to take nearly £50 a month for supplying almost nothing.

We have been fobbed off on so many occasions now, with varying excuses/promises, and I just think it's pretty poor if one of the largest companies in the UK can't fix a phone line in a month.

Over to you BT!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: No phone line and intermittent broadband for over a month!

Welcome to this forum.
This is a customer to customer forum only,

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.

They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are a UK based team of people, who take personal ownership of your problem.

Once you get a reply, make sure that you are logged into the forum, then click on their name, you will see a screen like this. Click on the link as shown below.
Please do not send them a personal message, as they cannot deal with service issues that way.

For your own security, do not post any personal details, on this forum. That includes any tracking number you are give.

They will respond either by phone or e-mail, when its your turn in the queue.
Please use the tracked e-mail, to reply, not via the forum. Thanks

modpicture.jpg

This is the form you should see when you click on the link. If you do not see this form, then you have selected the wrong link.
When you submit the form, you will receive an enquiry number, so please keep a note of it

Image2.jpg

0 Ratings
john237084
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the swift reply Keith, but this wasn't to report a fault, it was to ask, as you say "customer to customer", if other forum members had waited such a long time, or been treated so poorly.

Thanks again.
0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 4 of 7

Hi john237084,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community forum!

Sorry for the problems you're having receiving calls on your line and that your broadband is also affected.  I can help you with this from here.

Click on my username and under the "about me" section of my profile you'll see the link to get in touch.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

You say you cannot make calls but have a dialtone ?, I presume you mean that when someone makes a call to your number they get ringtone but your phone doesn't ring, and if you pick up the handset you get dialtone while they continue to get ringtone...if you have dialtone , dial 17070 , you should get an AVR along the lines of 'this circuit is defined as ' and a tele number read out, make sure it's your number, if it's not your number it would explain your problem
If you have no dialtone at all (check at the master socket test point) and poor internet it could be your line is 'dis1leg' and needs to be reported as a fault, if you already have a fault report raised where did they estimate the fault location ?
The BT Sport problem needs more info, how do you access it ?, an app on Android or IOS , on the website or BTTV or Sky ?
obviously if you have no internet then you won't get BT Sport unless it's delivered via A Sky TV box
0 Ratings
john237084
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

When someone rings us we get a ringtone and they get a dialtone, but when we pick up we get a dialtone too? If we then put the phone down it carries on ringing and if we pick up we get the same again.

We don't have a dial tone if we try to dial out so dialling 17070 does nothing, master socket is the same, and a BT engineer has been out in July.

The internet has remained on for a whole 5 days now, but it seems fairly slow. Even with the internet on, the sport doesn't work through the youview box. The fault code is IPC6023?
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

Sorry to be a bit pedantic, ringtone is the sound the calling party hears in the handset of the phone that's made the call, so if I rang you what I hear in my phone (the ring, ring ) is ringtone, if your phone starts to 'ring' and you pick the handset up , I take it the person who made the call stops hearing 'ring ring' and gets dial tone, like when they first picked up the phone but before they dialed any number, and you answering the call get nothing, or you get a temporary dialtone, but if you put the handset down it starts to 'ring' again...?
TBH if this is the case is sounds like classic 'disconnected (dis) 1 leg' , or 1 leg 'HR' basically of the pair of wires from the exchange to your house only 1 'leg' is connected thru, this can give a situation where the phone 'rings' when an incoming call arrives , but you cannot 'answer' it, you have no outgoing service ( you need both legs of your cable 'pair' thru to the exchange for this,) and your internet works but poorly over 1leg
This should be easily diagnosed when you call your provider and they test the line, but because this partial disconnection could be inside your home, if you haven't done so already , you need to try an ordinary perferably wired (not cordless) phone in the master socket test point, this confirms if the problem is to line (in which case Openreach fix it as part of your rental) or it's internal , in which case it's your problem and not OR's
If an engineer looked at this in July did they not fix it ? and didnt they give you the option of raising the fault again if the engineer says he fixed it, but it isn't fixed at all ?
Sounds like you need to report it again, ask they what the test result shows, if it's obviously faulty in the lineplant they may not even threaten you with the dreaded 'if it's your fault it's £130' routine, but insist they re-open the original fault if they never fixed it at all, problems like this are almost certainly outside of your property
A quick search on ipc6023 shows some have this when using their own router not the home hub, or are using extender plugs to connect the Youview box to the hub, but as you are having telephony problems it's probably tied in with that
0 Ratings