Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Crab
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

No phone line

Go to solution

This morning my phone line went dead but broadband connection still working. I have checked the main bt socket and again there is no phone dialing tone. I have tried various solutions on the website but of course I am unable to run a line test as I have no second line. What is the solution? Is it a fault at the exchange perhaps? I dont know how to resolve this.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: No phone line

Go to solution

Go to this web page, you can do a line test and report a fault

Faults: https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do?pageId=2&s_cid=con_FURL_faults

Crab
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks but I cannot do a line test because i need to free up the line. I cant do that because my broadband is connected and still working. I would not be able to do a line test without being on line. I have no second line.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Yes you can. What happens is that the broadband temporarily disconnects during the line test.

If you leave your Internet browser on the same page, and wait for your home hub to sync up again, you will be able to see the results.

If the line test is a failure, then an automatic fault report is generated which you can look up on the web page.
It will be a VOL xxxxxxx format fault report.

The only time you cannot do a line test is if the phone line is in use on a call.

0 Ratings
Crab
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you Keith. I did not need to try it as the phone is now working again. Must have been a BT fault. But I do appreciate your efforts.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
Its quite possible that it was a faulty line card in the exchange. There would have been a number of people affected, so the problem would have been identified and fixed fairly quickly.
0 Ratings