cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mortalwombat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

No real speed increase... Am I being unreasonable?

Hi,

I recently, like many others opted for the free speed upgrade to Infinity to after much deliberation about the pro's and Con's of restarting my Contract and was swayed by the potential of receiving a sizeable increase on the speed I was getting.

My average download speed was 32-35Mbps down and upload of roughly 8Mbps.

Since the upgrade I now get around 34-35Mbps and just over 9Mbps upload although this has increased slightly it is still far short of the 47Mbps down and 10.9Mbps up that I had based my decision on.  That showed as the likely speeds I would reach if I upgraded (and still does) I am more than happy with the service from BT otherwise but would not have restarted my Contract on the basis of such a small increase and would prefer to go back to my original contract if I cannot get anywhere close to the 47Mbps suggested.

My line profile is showing as around 36Mbps and after the 10 day stabilisation period have seen no change.  I would prefer the speed increase but is it unreasonable to wish to return to my original contract with more or less the same speeds that I now have?

Thanks

Morty

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Guru
Message 2 of 17

Re: No real speed increase... Am I being unreasonable?

Hi Morty, sorry to hear about your issues, alot of users amongst the forum are experiencing issues with the new Infinity 2 product.

Have you tried resetting your kit?

Could you also run a B.T speedtest here please? and post results http://www.speedtester.bt.com/
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
Nige32
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 17

Hi

I do not think it is unreasonable to hope that you would have seen a increase in speed.

You could try restarting your modem to see if that helps.

If not then contact BT have a chat with them, I would assume that they would would want you to be happy with the product you have and would try to help as much as they can. 

Best of luck I hope it goes well for you .     

Mortalwombat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, My speedtest shows as below.  Also the BB Checker Guestimate.

Thanks

Speedtest.jpg

0 Ratings
Mortalwombat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

BT.jpg

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 17

While your connection is fine, i'm not to sure how much more you will see out of your connection, since your estimate was only 47MB.

The only thing i can suggest to you is to contact the mods, https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

Your profile for your download would need to be higher to receive anywhere near those speeds, the increased frequencies on your line is causing DLM to work harder and reduced your downloads by stabilising it.

It can take up to 3 days to get a response from them either by email or phone.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
Mortalwombat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Hi,

Thanks Aarong, closer to the 47mb would be fine as that was what I based the decision to Upgrade and renew on.  It made me run that before I upgraded and told me I should receive within 1 or 2Mbps of that figure.  When I ran the BB checker before I took the original infinity package I received bang on what it suggested I may get which is why I trusted the 47Mbps guestimate this time.  Only for some reason after the upgrade it hardly moved.

I'm not unhappy with the speed I was getting before but obviously don't want to start my contract again for no benefit

I have contacted the Mods to see if they can assist with increasing the speed a bit or help put me back on my old contract.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my post 🙂

Morty

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 17

No problem, anytime. Good luck with it 😉
flamey
Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Generally speaking, unless you already got the 37mb profile with consistent throughput you wouldn't experience a increase with the upgrade as it doesn't magically make your line shorter or decrease the noise induced as a result of the length of the copper.

I suspect the BT estimate is out by a fair margin. It should perhaps be made clearer that unless you get consistent throughput off the top profile of 40/10 its seldom worth upgrading.

0 Ratings
Mortalwombat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

I don't really need anything to "magically make my line shorter" but whats the point of having an Estimate if it means nothing?

I have since had a visit from an OR Engineer courtesy of the Nice Mod people on the Forums and he says that the issue is that my line is still capped.  I am syncing at 38.8Mbps at the faceplate and he says that when tested at the cabinet my line was receiving a 40Mbps feed and explained that if the Output from the cab is only 40Mbps how would I ever reach anything higher....??

I spoke with BT India who to be honest have been horrendous... I know they are bad but I am so disgusted with the way I have been spoken to and treated by incompetent "Advisers" (use the term loosely) that as soon as my contract is up i'm leaving BT and going anywhere I don't have to deal with them...

The last person I spoke to has all the engineers notes but still took me an hour to get her to agree that my line is still on a 40/10 profile and said she has raised a fault with some other profile dept.  Advised it would take 48Hrs to reset my profile.  48hrs came and went no change... at least she called me back to inform me I have spoken to someone named Stephen... no I haven't I say... Yes you have...  Finally she says oh well i'll call you in a week as I'm sure it will all be better by then...!!!

I give up....  Does it really take a month+, an Engineer visit, and multiple hours on the phone just to reset a profile????

0 Ratings