Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 31

No response

Hi all,

Is it common to not get any response at all for a support equiry posted ion the BT web site?

(I think it is applaingly bad service to do so.)

Within the last year I have had problems with my broadband speed on three different occasions. The previous two times I have used the support chat and after half hour or so with questions that I already have answered in my first fault report the outcome was that there's been an fault identified with the hardware and that the matter must be escalated to the BT whole sale team. This time I thought I'd try to just report the fault on the BT web site. And after a week of no communication the ticket is now simply closed as "resolved", which it is not, from my point of view. I still have half my normal ADSL speed here.

So my question to the community here is: Are the web site support forms not to trust? What is the best way to actually get some help?

(And also, why should I even have to point out "harware failures" three times within a year? Very frustrating... Feels like I am being throttled on purpose.)

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 31

Re: No response

the best way to get some help is initially from the forum members and if they cannot help the the forum mods who are the only BT employees on the forum

if you would like help from the forum please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) bt speedtester and post the results .

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 31

Sorry, my post here wasn't really to get technical help. It was more an open question if I am alone in getting this type of silent treatment from customer support.;-)

But thanks for the quick reply. I'll try and explain a bit further...

Line attenuation, signal to noise ration and transmission errors are all well within what is acceptable, there's no noise on the line when calling 170 70 and the router is connected directly to the master socket and my computer directly to the router. (Yes have tried with the master socket open)

Connection info:

Mode:ADSL_2plus
Traffic Type:ATM
Link Power State:L0

DownstreamUpstream
Line Coding(Trellis):OnOn
SNR Margin (0.1 dB):7358
Attenuation (0.1 dB):395202
Output Power (0.1 dBm):0128
Attainable Rate (Kbps):79681124

Path 0 Path 1 
 DownstreamUpstreamDownstreamUpstream
Rate (Kbps):3070112400

MSGc (# of bytes in overhead channel message):941000
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame):616000
M (# of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame):1100
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes):9100
R (# of check bytes in FEC Data Frame):10000
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length):0.7184.55120.00.0
L (# of bits in PMD Data Frame):189428300
D (interleaver depth):416100
Delay (msec):7.461.130.00.0
INP (DMT symbol):8.780.00.00.0

Super Frames:33244329452500
Super Frame Errors:0800
RS Words:299197687000
RS Correctable Errors:438100000
RS Uncorrectable Errors:0000

HEC Errors:0500
OCD Errors:0000
LCD Errors:0000
Total Cells:388896531420694900
Data Cells:227961022988800
Bit Errors:026200

Total ES:08
Total SES:00
Total UAS:33

Interface Statistics

Port NumberIn OctetsOut OctetsIn PacketsOut PacketsIn OAM CellsOut OAM CellsIn ASM CellsOut ASM CellsIn Packet ErrorsIn Cell Errors

ADSL BER Test - Result

The ADSL BER test completed successfully.

Test Time (sec):20
Total Transferred Bits:0x0000000003508200
Total Error Bits:0x0000000000000000
Error Ratio:

0.00e+00

No the problem is here... http://www.speedtester.bt.com/

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.52 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 2.71 Mbps

This profile should be 5.5 - 7 Mbps. That is what I have had before during the last three years and there's no reason whatsoever for this to drop (as pointed out above) other than BT trying to limit my bandwith or possibly having internal hardware issues.

I am not a heavy user, but I do work from home so it is important fo me to have some peak performance to download a couple of GB in one go maybe once a week... Hence me paying for unlimited broadband. But if I don't get that, I see no reason to carry on paying for it. The silent treatmentfrom support isn't helping to keep us as a customer either...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 31

your profile is correct for your current connection speed.  the problem is your lower than expected connection speed of 3070.  Is it possible for you to connect to the test socket and repost your stats?  This will eliminate any problems being caused by your internal extension wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 31

That is from the test socket. Makes no difference.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 31

sorry just your previous post said it was connected to master socket

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 7 of 31

@t000ny wrote:

Sorry, my post here wasn't really to get technical help. It was more an open question if I am alone in getting this type of silent treatment from customer support.;-)

~snip~
so ... do you need forum help with those stats .... and an opinion? .... or are you happy?  
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 31

Sorry, probably my bad, the test outlet in the master socket. 🙂

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 31

RogerP write:

so ... do you need forum help with those stats .... and an opinion? .... or are you happy?

--------------

Any opinions are more than welcome! Smiley Happy

My initial post was more a question about if it is common with appaling support from BT when there is a problem. I am fairky sure the problem does not lie on my side. (Partly because of the stats posted above, partly because this is the third time in a year and the previous two times it has been a BT "hardware problem".)

To me it is unacceptable to close any support call without any communication back to the customer. And it is also unacceptable to throttle the bandwith for users that are on an "unlimited" plan. But maybe that is just me being wrong.

Guess I just wanted to vent that opinion and see if I am the only one with this experience.

This morning it is even worse, with nothing changed here:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.4 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 2.71 Mbps

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 31

was btspeedtester run using wired or wireless connection?

0 Ratings