cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Guru
Message 11 of 31

Re: No response

Some Qs: You have a NTE5 socket, normal broadband socket with access to test socket?

Do you hear (although no crackle) a "clean hiss" on the line permanently?

What is your IP address and exchange.?

How long have you had ADSL2+?

What is the approximate router runtime, without a drop?

Does it drop at all, and after how long?

And how long were you in the test socket for?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 31

@RogerB wrote:

Some Qs: You have a NTE5 socket, normal broadband socket with access to test socket?

Do you hear (although no crackle) a "clean hiss" on the line permanently?

What is your IP address and exchange.?

How long have you had ADSL2+?

What is the approximate router runtime, without a drop?

Does it drop at all, and after how long?

Yes, a normal socket with a test socket behind the face plate, which I used for the test run over a couple of days, with no difference.

No hiss, noise or crackling when calling 17070, as said before.

IP: 81.129.58.93 exchange Wing south, Bucks (if my memory serves me)

Had an me-mail on the 25 October saying "We've upgraded your broadband line" but no technical details as of what was changed, so I can't really answer your question.

The router is usually up for many days if not weeks with no line drop. I don't really keep track of it, since it is normally not a problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 13 of 31

ok .... do a reset, now.

Then post the stats up.

From the test socket ... if you can, and leave it there.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 31

@RogerB wrote:

ok .... do a reset, now.

Then post the stats up.

From the test socket ... if you can, and leave it there.

OK. Unplugged the router from the socket, plugged it back in again (to the test socket) and restarted the router, but no difference...

Statistics -- xDSL

Mode:ADSL_2plus
Traffic Type:ATM
Link Power State:L0

DownstreamUpstream
Line Coding(Trellis):OnOn
SNR Margin (0.1 dB):6158
Attenuation (0.1 dB):400201
Output Power (0.1 dBm):0128
Attainable Rate (Kbps):89761140

Path 0 Path 1 
 DownstreamUpstreamDownstreamUpstream
Rate (Kbps):3063114000

MSGc (# of bytes in overhead channel message):681000
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame):65200
M (# of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame):1400
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes):12300
R (# of check bytes in FEC Data Frame):14600
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length):0.7225.91180.00.0
L (# of bits in PMD Data Frame):232529500
D (interleaver depth):416400
Delay (msec):7.515.910.00.0
INP (DMT symbol):10.10.320.00.0

Super Frames:6877616400
Super Frame Errors:0000
RS Words:61053397384900
RS Correctable Errors:39508000
RS Uncorrectable Errors:0000

HEC Errors:0000
OCD Errors:0000
LCD Errors:0000
Total Cells:79699228616000
Data Cells:15446588500
Bit Errors:00

ADSL BER Test - Result

The ADSL BER test completed successfully.

Test Time (sec):20
Total Transferred Bits:0x00000000034E9300
Total Error Bits:0x0000000000000000
Error Ratio:0.00e+00

As for the BT speed test:

null

The system is currently busy. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider

I'll try that again a bit later today and see...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 15 of 31

My thoughts:

Firstly BT won't be strangling the connection on purpose, they don't do it.

Your exchange underwent some changes last months with ADSL2+ ... WBC ADSL2 was unrolled, that would also have been your email message.

Presently the line's running 6db at 40db loop loss ... which at the outset "seems" like target margin.

The line is also running with  fairly deep interleave on as well , judgeing from both sets of stats.

And INP is around 10.

The BER test that the router performs (bit error rate) sees no uncorrected data.

For 40db IP 7000 at least should be easily attainable. (you know this).

The reason I asked you about line hiss is this ... ADSL2 and 2+ use what's called 1 bit carrier bins, rather than 2 bit carrier bins (ADSL1) ... and it uses the full frequency range to modulate the ADSL. On some lines, not all the frequencies will be available due to any line noise, and line hiss does play a big part in channel blocking on ADSL2+.

The main reason I mention it, is because the line does appear to struggle without a lot of error correction, supplied by the interleave, and it too absorbs overheads. Now to get back to my original statement about target margin ... if the line was really healthy it would actually be running closer to 3-4db noise margin, which in effect doesn't seem much lower than present, but in fact impacts sync rate dramatically on ADSL2+. ADSL2+ can and does run close to 3db margin on good lines because of the single bit loading it achieves in the ADSL frequency spectrum, it only needs 3db per bit SNR ...but if you consider the overheads from interleave and the lack of sync gained because it's running at 6db and above .....those 2 things collectively will bring the linerate down.

Having said all that, I wouldn't have expected it to come down by 50% .... but it would have come down by at least 30%.

I do know there are a lot of changes taking place with scheduled works at the moment and a lot is to do with line profiling (~TR101) and ADSL2 exchange upgrades. All exchanges see upgrades from time to time both in ADSL standards and MSAN running software. (usually overnight).

I do wonder whether your connection would benefit a proper service specific faceplate, with inbuilt filters because they do cater for a wide variation in frequencies as far as INP is concerned, and help to negate a lot of errors.

I also wonder whether you just have a "mediocre" line ... that without attention is not fully condusive to the challenges of ADSL2+.

I also wonder whether the ADSL2 rollout of your exchange has completed and there is further MSAN/bandwidth work to do.

But I do agree it is below par .... and it could be improved.

If it were mine, I would leave it to train in the test socket for a few weeks, even permanently if you can, and consider a SSFP.

And after a while if it doesn't increase in linespeed, ask for a full TAM test across the IP layer part of your network, which can be invoked by BTw techs, and requested by moderators of this forum.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 31

Thanks for your help and conclusion! Much appreciated.

Let me summarise it from my view:
I should leave my master socket open for a week or two, with no phones connected, to achieve a better speed. Then I possibly need to pay for an update of a filter plate, to achieve the same performance that I had a couple of weeks ago. (Even after the upgrade to ADSL2)

This even though there's no noise on the line?

And also, you recommend me to use this forum as my first point of contact when I have a service request with BT Broadband? Not the official support channels?

#### Rant ####

Sorry, if I sound peeved off, but that is because I am. No reflection back on you RogerB, your help has been excellent, but this whole situation is not acceptable. I am not paying £24.95 a month to be treated with ignorance from the front personnel for my service provider. I am fully aware there's lovely and helpful engineers here, but that doesn't change the fact that the service at a whole is sub-standard. If I am going to be ignored as a customer I might as well pay another company £7.95 for it instead of £24.95. Smiley Wink

#### End of rant ####

Again: Thanks for your help!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 17 of 31

Entirely your choice. 🙂

Good Luck. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 31

following on from RogerB comments have you had 10 days internet connection 24/7 since your upgrade on 25/10?  I don't mean that router was connected but that you had stable internet connection.  This is the normal training period after your line is upgraded to 21CN adsl2/2+.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 31

@imjolly wrote:

following on from RogerB comments have you had 10 days internet connection 24/7 since your upgrade on 25/10?  I don't mean that router was connected but that you had stable internet connection.  This is the normal training period after your line is upgraded to 21CN adsl2/2+.

Sorry, I don't understand your question. Are you asking if I had 10 days continous connection of the ADSL line without a single drop of the connection? Or are you asking something else?

The answer to that question is that I don't know, haven't kept track of that. But the router is on 24/7 if that is what you are asking.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 31

I am asking as you say - a 24/7 connection of your internet without any manual intervention for  the 10 day training period.  the router being powered up is not the same.  during training the router may and often does restart the internet connection during the training period and this is normal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings