cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KitKite
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

No ring. No dial tone. No broadband. Lower voltage than 50 volts.

Hi all.

I have the problems stated above. I was testing the voltage across contacts A and B of the incoming line in the BT80A junction box. The voltage read 36 volts. Lifting the handset it drops to 3 volts.

What should these two readings be? What could cause a lowered voltage?

I logged the problem with BT. The online diagnosis test said the problem was near or on my premises. A BT engineer apparently looked to the problem and said the similar thing, so I would have to make an appointment. So not wanting to be slapped with an approx bill of £130 ish  I thought I would check connections, voltage etc within my home hence the question on voltage

Cheers.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: No ring. No dial tone. No broadband. Lower voltage than 50 volts.

Forget voltages, if you have no dial tone at the test socket behind the faceplate of the master socket, you have a line fault that is the responsibility of Openreach.

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 5

As long as you've tested all that still occurs (or doesn't occur) at the hidden test socket you can't be hit with a bill.

Beginner
Message 4 of 5

All problems and my tests done with phone plugged into the master test socket behind the face plate. The phone works ok. I tested that at my mum's.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 5 of 5

If you have plugged a known working phone into the master socket test port and cannot make or receive calls and have no dialtone, then really you have done all you are required to do, you now need to call your landline rental provider ( obviously from another phone ) and report the line faulty NDT would seem a suitable fault report ( no dialtone) as far as why the voltage across the line is 36v and not the expected -50v , that is obviously the result of whatever problem is affecting the line, earth contact, battery contact, high resistance short or whatever...