Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 25

No service for 13 days and counting...

Hi all,

Just venting some frustration and looking for some advice.

We've had slow speed issues (below "guaranteed minimum") since installing BT Infinity. On 28th November I contacted BT as my speed was below half the minimum. They did a few checks and promised a callback the next day. On the Tuesday, no call back and I came home to discover we had no connection. A series of calls later and apparently the fault is in our property (I highly doubt it) and an engineer is scheduled for Thursday (1st December). My girlfriend takes the day off work to wait for the engineer. No show. Enraged, she calls and is told apparently the problem is at the exchange and no visit is required. It should be fixed by the next day.

By the weekend, still no Internet. We spend the whole of Saturday on the phone (ie on hold). Apparently the issue is again at our property so an engineer is scheduled for Thursday (8th December). Again my girlfriend takes the day off work and guess what? Again the engineer is a no show. Insensed, I speak to BT via chat. I'm told there is now a fault in the area and there is an engineer working on it. It will be fixed by Friday. Or Saturday. Weekend comes and goes and still we have no internet. We now have another engineer scheduled for Wednesday.

I am getting towards my whit's end. I am really getting sick of this back and forth, with noone taking any sort of responsibility for my case. I've had the phone conveniently "disconnect" on me multiple times as soon as I mention the word "complaint". Without being too melodramatic, this is really some of the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

In this situation, what is the best way to:

1. Get the problem resolved
  2. Complain and receive appropriate compensation

Thanks

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: No service for 13 days and counting...

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Noise on the line will affect speed.

Its not going to be an issue in the exchange, as the broadband come from the cabinet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 25

Thanks for the response, but I don't actually have a fixed phone at home to test with (only mobiles). Anyway, after almost 2 weeks with no internet, I would happily accept noisy slow connection than no connection!

And by "exchange" I mean anything network related, outside my house.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 25

@Bollard wrote:

Thanks for the response, but I don't actually have a fixed phone at home to test with (only mobiles). Anyway, after almost 2 weeks with no internet, I would happily accept noisy slow connection than no connection!

And by "exchange" I mean anything network related, outside my house.

A landline phone is essential, and a basic one costs less then £5. Useful in an emergency as well.

Without one, you risk a £130 charge, as the fault could be within your own wiring.

There is an explanation on this post, which also applies to Infinity.

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/No-Internet-and-horrible-bt-customer-service...

If the line is noisy, then reporting it as a noisy phone line will get the problem fixed much quicker. Reporting it  as broadband issue, is going to take a long time, as broadband diagnostics do not give a clue as to the fault location, so there is a delay before it gets passed out as a possible line fault.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 25

Good luck bollard. You are going to need it I am afraid. Try and keep a log of all the calls you make, who you speak to and, inevitably, the huge amount of time that you are going to waste going round in circles while no one grasps the nettle and fixes the fault in anything that can be deemed as a reasonable time frame. https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-com-Community-feedback/Continually-apalling-service-from-the-awful-ca... You may want to read this one as an example of what to expect. It's been awful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 25

Hi @Bollard and thanks for posting.

Can you try running the speed test including the further diagnostics and post the results?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 25

Hello Bollard

Going through very similar issues as yourself.

No broadband since the 25th November.

I have been told since then about a 'major outtage' (at least twice), that my hub 'is faulty' and that its a problem at the exchange.

I've had engineer visits booked and then cancelled via text the day before.

I've tried 3 different routers including a brand new smart hub (cost me £65.00 plus postage).

Still told it was my router 10 minutes after installing my brand new smart hub........clueless.

Just so you know none of the reasons given above were correct.

I sent an email complaint on Sunday 4th December.

I eventually received a call from BT Care Centre in Enniskillen (!) last Friday stating that my broadband had been 'discontinued'.

Unfortunately I never got a chance to speak to the guy who rang but he stated that he was (and I quote) 'bemused' as to why my broadband had apparently been removed and more worryingly who had actually done it!!

Its due to be re-installed this coming Friday (not getting my hopes up).

I obviously can't say if this is what has happened with you but its worth investigating.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 25

Thanks for the responses.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 25

A line fault is almost certain to be the problem, but if you can get hold of a cheap phone, it would help to prove the fault out of your house, and avoid the possible callout charge.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 25

Thanks for the reply @hombre

That's equal parts interesting and worrying! Any chance you could share (in DM if you'd prefer) the email address you sent your complaint to? I'm fed up of waiting 20+ minutes on hold to speak to a clueless call centre operator, so would be nice to have someone look into it and call me back. Thanks

0 Ratings