cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fibreman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

No sync speed available on latest Home Hub 3

Hi there, I just had BT Infinity 2 installed yesterday and noticed that my speeds have been very erratic (30MBS to 70MBS). I can run speedtester several times in a row and get very different readings each time. Whilst investigating this, I tried to find out my sync speed. However, this appears to be unavailable.

I followed the instructions on: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32209/~/how-do-i-check-the-connection-speed-for-my-bt... My results are below. As you can see, question 6 does not show my connection speed (as per the video). Does anyone have any idea how to get the sync speed from the latest Home Hub 3? - Maybe the SW variant stops the info from being published??

1. Product name: BT Home Hub 3.0B

2. Serial number: +058721+1203305293

3. Firmware version: V100R001C01B031SP09_L_B. Last updated Unknown

4. Board version: VER.D

5. WAN: PPP Connected

6. Data sent/received: 1927445739/2286522987 B

7. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

8. BT FON: No

9. Wireless network/SSID: BTHub3-FZFN

10. Wireless connections: Enabled (b/g/n, 20M, WPS Disabled)

11. Wireless security: WPA and WPA2

12. Wireless channel: 11

13. Firewall: Default

14. MAC Address: 80:B6:86:DC:1C:A8

15. Software variant: 09_L_B

16. Boot loader: 1.0.37-106.5 Thanks.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Aarong
Guru
Message 2 of 17

Re: No sync speed available on latest Home Hub 3

Hi and welcome to the forum, On Infinity the sync speed is not shown, as the modem handles the connection the sync is handled by the modem.

Some people have broken the firmware to see the sync speed on the modem, some have routers which show the sync from the modem. Draytrek 2750n is a popular one amongst the forum.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
fibreman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Thanks for the prompt response. Seems trange than you have to hack the model to get at this basic connection information. 

Btw, my modem is an Echolife HG612. (if that means anything)

0 Ratings
Aarong
Guru
Message 4 of 17

Yea Openreach want to keep that information hidden for some reason, can't see why. Other than that, the B.T speedtester here: http://www.speedtester.bt.com, if you run a test (ADSL/FTTC) this will tell you what profiles your on. Roughly what speeds you should be getting so you are not totally in the dark.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Bullitt
Distinguished Expert
Message 5 of 17

Thats good news, it means you can hack it. You can't hack the ECI.

0 Ratings
fibreman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Yeh. I tried the BT speedtester, along with various others. I notice that the Beta/>24 MBPS checker gives a much higher result (75 MBPS) compared to the standard FTTC checker (approx: 40 MBPS).

I also saw a few posts suggesting that the BTY speedtest shows the sync speed. However, this appears to not be true. It shows the profile that I'm on (upto 78MB), but doesn't show the sync speed that my modem has negotiated with the exchange whilst connecting. (the info that I'm after).

0 Ratings
Aarong
Guru
Message 7 of 17

No the B.T speedtest doesn't show sync just your profiles which are just as important as these can limit your speeds. The profiles for Infinity 2 are 76/19.
0 Ratings
fibreman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Does anyone know of a way to get the sync speed without hacking the modem?

(I prefer not to do this if possible)

0 Ratings
Aarong
Guru
Message 9 of 17

Only way to do this is buy a router that shows DSL stats, the Draytrek i mentioned earlier does this.
0 Ratings
fibreman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Ok thanks. £160-£170 for a new modem to find out my line statistics seems a little extreme. (Unless there's lots of other good reasons to upgrade the modem).

I may instead raise a support ticket to BT to investigate the fluctuating speeds. Presumably, they will be able to check the line stats (including sync rate / SNR etc.) from there end.

0 Ratings