cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

No wifi for days now and can’t even do a factory reset as it needs wifi

I have tried everything to fix the issue with no joy this will be the 3rd BT Youview box that has failed on us. 
About a week ago our YouView box lost connection to the internet. I have been trying everything I can think of since then to try and re-establish the connection with no luck.
I've tried resetting the router, resetting the box, checking the cable connections to the back of the box, to the router and to the power line adapters, switching the power line adapters off and on again, and yesterday I even tried the ethernet cable directly from my router to the YouView box to see if it was a problem with the power line adapters, but that didn't connect either. It says connecting to the router, then connecting to the internet, but then can’t connect. Wi-Fi is working perfectly on all other devices. I'm at a loss as to what to try next and I'm not sure what has happened in the last week for it to suddenly stop working? Any help would be much appreciated. 

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: No wifi for days now and can’t even do a factory reset as it needs wifi

Wi-fi and powerline adaptors are two different things. Powerline adaptors take the internet signal from the router and pass it round your electricity mains wiring to another adaptor connected to your Youview box.

Almost certainly the issue lies with the adaptors. I see them as a bodge solution that work for some people and not for other and are not too clever at coping with non-standard electric mains wiring as often found in older housing.  One test is to strip back power socket usage so the adapters are the only thing connected to the power sockets with no other electrical devices.  By the way, you haven't just set up your Christmas lights have you?  The cheap and nasty unshielded power bricks they often use is a common source of interference of one kind or another.

But to eliminate the Youview box and the router and the internet connection as suspects you really need to try connecting with a long ethernet cable instead even if only for a temporary test. Then strongly consider how you can make the cable run permanent in an neat, tidy and unobtrusive way and throw the adaptors in the bin.

0 Ratings