cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GANDAUK
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Noise margin - Infinity 2

Folks, apologies if this question's been asked already - but can noise margin be reset or lowered on an Infinity 2 connection?

With our old ADSL line, and Billion Bipac 7800n router, I know we could lower it ourselves or ask the ISP to do it. But I can't seem to telnet into the HH5 and after reading some of the previous forum postings I'm not sure BT Openreach allow this? We had a steady noise margin of 6db on our old ADSL, however I see from the stats in the HH5 that it's currently 6.5. I know it's not much, but I was wondering if it could be lowered manually and I could get optimal speeds.

Or does Infinity/VDSL work in different ways?

Cheers!
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
pippincp
Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Noise margin - Infinity 2

Infinity relies on an automatic system. Only Openreach engineers can request a reset.

0 Ratings
questor
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Regrettably I do not think this can be changed by the customer or BT Wholesale. If the noise margin becomes really silly (e.g. 10dB on infinity) you can try to get it reset but it requires a BT Openreach engineer with a job number for your line and persistence on his part.

I think the target should be around 5.9-6.0dB and at 6.5dB you are only slightly above this so close to maximum bandwidth. I'm guessing 6.5dB is a current rather than average figure, so it may be at some points during the day the noise on the line has increased and so your current noise margin. Also bear in mind that depending on the chipset in your modem the noise figure may be more of an estimate than an actual measurement. However the high noise margin may be due to the BRAS profile so you have my sympathy as in my opinion 'the system' limits the sync rate rather too aggressively. 

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 13

The BRAS can't affect the sync speed. The DLM can.

--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
GANDAUK
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Thanks guys. I thought it wouldn't be something users could control or get easily adjusted. Never mind. I've got a great IP profile of 74.06, reduced from the standard 77.44 at installation. But would like to find out if it's something in my home network that might be causing any interference, or just the line itself, so I'm running noise margin tests on the HH5. Not holding out much hope, but I guess this might be one of the ways I'm going to find out what's going on.

Cheers for the advise.
0 Ratings
questor
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

@legitimise_sailing wrote:

The BRAS can't affect the sync speed. The DLM can.

<SIGH>

0 Ratings
thomasmulhall
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

hi i have bt infinity 2 with the home hub 5 and this is my noise margin 12.5 / 12.3. should i call bt to reset it.

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 13

What are the other stats?
--
0 Ratings
viper76
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Hi

I have Infinity 2 and this is my HH5 info . is the Noise margin looks ok or not ?

6. Data rate:19999 / 79995
7. Maximum data rate:41879 / 112560
8. Noise margin:23.8 / 15.1
9. Line attenuation:0.0 / 14.3
10. Signal attenuation:0.0 / 14.3
0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 10 of 13

lol, looks fine. You're at max speed so excess noise margin can't be used for extra speed.
--
0 Ratings