cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Noise margin keeps going negative and losing internet

Go to solution

Hi, I seem to be having a slight issue and hoping someone can help!!

FYI - I have a D7000 Netgear router.

I seem to be having intermittent internet disconnects, but without the router light saying it's lost connection.
On my router I can see the noise margin varying (it refreshes every 5 seconds).

Downstream right now seems to be floating about 2-3dB, but then it will randonly drop and even go negative.
I notice I lose internet access at this stage and then it pops back up into a positive number and it resumes.

If it sits negative for more than a few seconds the line appears to lose synce and then reconnects (and repeats).

Upstream noise margin is sitting about 3-5 (again fluctuating), but I have seen this go to 20 today and even to 6000+, and then it loses connection. By the time I finished this post it had gone up to 17dB. This appears to be fluctuating quite a lot as I'm now watching it change from 2 to 12dB within a few refreshes of the router page.

All has been stable with my line for a very long time however two days ago an engineer was out and repaired/replaced a part of the overhead line as my neighbour was having very slow internet issues.
(I'm rural and our cable comes from posts above ground).
Engineer said tree branches were sitting on the cable and had rubbed through.

Is it coincidence that my issues have started today after the engineer was out a few days ago doing work for my neighbour?

Any help would be much appreciated as I work from home and rely on a stable connection to the office!

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 18

Re: Noise margin keeps going negative and losing internet

Go to solution

router1.JPGrouter2.JPG

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Sync speed used to be 12594 down, 828 up.

Again, any help appreciated.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

A snap shot of what's happening tonight....

[DSL: Up] Saturday, June 02,2018 00:45:41          
[DSL: Down] Saturday, June 02,2018 00:45:11              
[DSL: Up] Friday, June 01,2018 22:14:33             
[DSL: Down] Friday, June 01,2018 22:14:03                 
[DSL: Up] Friday, June 01,2018 22:09:12               
[DSL: Down] Friday, June 01,2018 22:08:42                        
[DSL: Up] Friday, June 01,2018 21:34:25               
[DSL: Down] Friday, June 01,2018 21:33:54               
[DSL: Up] Friday, June 01,2018 21:33:14             
[DSL: Down] Friday, June 01,2018 21:32:34          
[DSL: Up] Friday, June 01,2018 18:58:35             
[DSL: Down] Friday, June 01,2018 18:58:04             
[DSL: Up] Friday, June 01,2018 18:57:44                     
[DSL: Down] Friday, June 01,2018 18:57:14                 
[DSL: Up] Friday, June 01,2018 18:51:33             

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

does seem a bit of a coincidence that engineer at pole fixing neighbours problems and with couple of days noise margin jumping about

Have you tried using test socket with filter even if you currently have filtered faceplate to rule out internal wiring and faulty faceplate?

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet apart from announcement and best done with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Hi.
Yes, tried that thanks.

There seems to be noise.
Not constant, but clicking/popping occasionally.
(It's hard to be 100% as I'm using a wireless phone - don't have a wired phone).

I've had a couple of drop outs again this morning.

I spoke to BT who said they have ran tests at their end and can't see anything wrong.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

really need a quiet line as anything else is a problem  however really need to try with corded phone and a £5 investment in a cheap corded phone could save you the engineer callout fee of £129.99.  a corded phone is also good to have as that should be the first check with any broadband problems - is there a dial tone and if so is there any line noise at test socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Hi - just went and picked up a corded phone.

Plugged into test socket with ADSL filter.
Definatley a noisey line, lots of crackling/noise.

Thanks for the assist and I'll wait for the engineer to appear on Monday!

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

Hi.

I had an engineer out yesterday who initially said there was nothing wrong after doing all the tests etc.
I then showed him on the computer that the internet started to have issues and asked him to check again.

The second time he checked (just before he was about to leave), the phone line was VERY noisy.

Engineer went to pole where previous engineer (for neighbour) replaced a cable and said he disconnected/reconnected this. All seemed ok and he left.

Now this evening I am having multiple disconnects and when I pick up the phone a lot of noise.

Here's a video showing this with packet loss along with the varying noise margin.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8XZaQfh5tI&feature=youtu.be

(the video is sped up by 1500%, time scale can be seen at the bottom)
Start watching at about the 30second mark

Spoke to BT tonight on online chat and they asked me to connect the HomeHub (I have HH4), so I did.
They then said there was an open fault that will be fixed by 06.06.18 @ 20.26 - in otherwords tomorrow night.
I'm not sure how this is even possible as I certainly don't have another engineer coming out to my property.

To be honest the first engineer saw the amount of poles (I am pole no25) and he didn't seem too pleased.
Original cable at pole 19 was replaced due to trees rubbing.
Problem is that the cables run in, over, through and under branches for quite a few poles (at best guess about 8 or so).
So I can only assume there is an issue there somewhere?

The tree branches are quite thickly grown in places etc, so it would take some amount of effort to clear all the branches around the wires.

I'm at a loss here as what the best route of action is.
There's obviously quite a major issue with a fault somewhere over length of the line.

My fear is that if another engineer comes out that he may come out when the line seems fine as it was an hour period between first engineer coming and me asking him to retest just before he was about to leave.

Any help/thoughts on the best route of action here would be appreciated.
If I get someone out to look again I fear they'll simply try to take the easy route or run a mile due to the nature of the potential problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

sorry but you need to get another engineer visit as the faulty line will not correct itself  if mods get involved they can only get engineer visit same as you

0 Ratings