cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
indoneringback
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Noise on Land Line

Have had BT line for 35 years with not one problem, had BT infinity with no problems.

Number transfered to new adress in village, new adress although fed off cabinet with fibre; I have to have copper ADSL.  I get speeds between 1 and 2 Mb (BTwholesale speed checker) with regular hub flashing orange. BT say I should get between 1 and 4 Mb. 

The line has a constant hum on it which is very tiresome when having a long conversation.

Reported problem to BT, spent hours (yes hours) switching off and on /resetting hub whilst BT test line/hub etc.

Eventualy BT man arrived at home, he changed master socket saying tester showed some rf noise.

Said he had checked in house and would be checking outside now and would not need further access.

I arrived home and noise fault still present.

Rang BT asked what the state tof the line was, BT told me fault was cleared, they had changed master socket and some poor internal wiring.

No internal wiring was ever changed, he just reconnected the internal wiring to the new master socket.

I explained that the noise is still there and another visit is now booked.

Surely BT operatives should forget about their high tech testing equipment that tells them the line is testing corrrectly and just loop the line, clear the dial tone and listen.

An internet site says I am over 3km from the exchange and I know that I am approx 2 miles from the cabinet and fed from a mile of overhead aerial cable (probably going through joints on route) to a distribution block then the line feds me with spans of dropwire and finally connects to an electricity pole before terminating at my house.

What chance have I that the next BToperative will be able to clear the annoying noise hum on my line and if not what can I do about it?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
indoneringback
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Noise on Land Line

Thank you for moving the topic, (I could not post on the PHONES forum, no new message box on page).

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 11

It's a bit pedantic but it wasn't and won't be a 'BT' operative, it will be an Openreach employee that visited and presumably will re-visit.

Although it shouldn't make any difference , a very long overhead route to your home ( as you describe ) using in part electricity poles is gong to be difficult to check every connection and joint along the way, and presumably will take a very long time too.

Given the engineer probably has time restraints , and noise can be difficult to pinpoint anyway, you may have to make multiple reports to get resolution, but if you haven't done so already, you should try another known working phone plugged into the master socket test point, ( with everything else removed, filters, router etc) to establish the noise is 'external' ..it also may be worth checking with your provider, as the 'clear' of socket and wiring changed sounds as is a bill for the visit may be included on your next bill

0 Ratings
TelephoneBob
Expert
Message 4 of 11

A Humming Noise is usually the result of an Earth Contact, aka the line making contact to an Earth source by something like a tree or contact with another pair in the cable length.

It can also be induced from an external power source, electric fences are notorious for it.
0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 5 of 11

Hi @indoneringback and welcome.

Have you reported this as a broadband or line fault?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
indoneringback
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Thank you all for your responses

I reported it as a noise fault.

I hope there is no charge as the internal wiring is nothing to do with openreach and I tested it and it was fault free.  The noise is at the master socket with internal wiring disconnected.

The phone (and infinity type hub) came from my previous address and there was no noise on the line there.

My problem with openreach is they test the line and if the tester says all is testing ok then they assume it is.  A case of "computer says it is all working fine".

At a pure guess I would say it sounds like mains hum probably induced in the long overhead route but that is not for me to confirm.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

@indoneringback wrote:

At a pure guess I would say it sounds like mains hum probably induced in the long overhead route but that is not for me to confirm.

Probably induced from the electricity cabling, it only needs a bit of inbalance, or a partial earth.

0 Ratings
indoneringback
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

On the positive side all the Openreach personnel are polite and try their best.

Received a visit from technician 2 this morning, he heard hum noise on mastersocket, climbed distribution pole and thought noise was worse at pole joint.  He then rang me from the cabinet saying noise had gone and he would put fault over to a jointer to check the route.  Techician 3 soon arrived, he fitted extra filter plate at master socket and thought noise was present but not very loud.  I explained that after time on a telephone conversation the noise becomes a distraction.  He then checked route and arrived back saying he had found the fault, the main distibution frame jumper wire was exteremy tight and had burnt through in several places and showed me the damaged wire. He had also disconnected the wire at a pole protection unit (presumably a wire going to earth to ground a  high voltage spike).  The technician 3 had also changed the exchange connection and confirmed the route was very long.

It is possible that the damaged jumper wire at the frame could explain the periodic flashing amber of the hub since any other wires being run or checked in the vicinity could have affected the bare parts on the jumper wire.  However the noise is still there.

Man from BT will ring me tomorrow to discuss.  In this day and age I would have thought and expected my telephone line to provide me with a clean clear balanced metallic loop with no background hum/noise on the line. 

0 Ratings
indoneringback
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Openreach 4 arrived this morning, listened on corded phone then listened on cordless phone and said that he could not hear the hum on the cordless phone and why don't I use that instead.  Explained to him that cordless phone would filter out a lot of the frequencies in the bandwidth that is why it seems ok, corded phones all have noise.  Openreach 5 arrived and checked sockets etc etc . They both spent all morning testing and then told me that it sounded like a normal line and that they could not hear the noise.  I asked them why have 5 people been looking for a noise fault if they can not hear it.  They then said that they would travel route and look for anything causing the problem (that they can't hear).  Arrived back said their tester was picking up a problem where the aerial cable ran closely under the electric wires and the tlephone wires should have run underground at this stage.

I asked why they can't just provide me with a new distribution line pair from the cabinet where a previous Openreach man said it sounded clear, they said that there were no spare pairs at the distribution point.

I think that I best write in a letter of complaint, it is bad enough having low broad band speeds (around 1Mb) but having an irritating noise hum on the line gets very annoying when on a call after some time.

No doubt BT will ring me tomorrow and ask if the noise has cleared and when I say no, they will book another Openreach operative.  I can't afford anymore of my time staying in for Openreach and I think that I will write a letter.

On a positive note all Openreach operatives were pleasant and polite but sadly were unable to resolve the noise problem.   

0 Ratings
indoneringback
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

BT rang me and offered me compensation for the inconvenience of having to stay in while 5 technicians inspected inside my property.  He mentioned that Openreach were not likely to re route cable underground where it was close to HV wires and there were no spare wires to my distribution point.

I am now left with an irritating noisey line that is distracting while having a conversation.

Any suggestions?

0 Ratings