Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Roboman
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Noise on phone and broadband drops out.

Go to solution

Hi

As a newcomer to this forum, I'm hoping for some help relating to a very frustrating time with BT.     For many years my BT Broadband, telephone, and BT Vision have all worked OK (except for the odd hiccup).  Then about the end of March I noticed the following:

1. There was a 'hissing' noise on the phone when the caller spoke but the caller could not hear this. Being slightly deaf it made phone calls very difficult 

2. The Broadband would drop out when a phone call was made.

3. The speed of the broadband was very slow and it was impossible to watch video (YouTube) without it having to load every few seconds.

I have contacted the help line and spent hours on the phone to foreign parts which turned out to be very distressing.  My wife and I were having to move furniture, try to find out what wires we were supposed to connect to what.  At 74 you can do without this!    Anyhow no joy.    I did get a call from an engineer the next day stating that he had 'changed my profile' and the speed should improve within 4 days.    This is fact did happen for a very short time when it reached 2908 Kbps download and 763 upload.  However it is now 758 Kbps and 362 Kbps on today's test.    The phone noise and the dropping out still occurred.

I have done the following:

1. Checked the distance of the exchange to my house which is 930 metres away

2  Checked that my BT sockets will not take the Broadband Accelerator

3  Changed the extension lead (which has worked perfectly for many years) for a High Speed ADSL/Broadband Modem Cable.

4 Purchased a new filter and exchanged this with an old one and replaced two others with spares I had.

5 I have tried connecting the router direct to the phone socket (via a filter) cutting out the extension lead

Although the speed has fluctuated it has not stopped the noise on the line and the broadband droppping out when the phone is used.

I have been told by BT that the line has been tested and there is no fault and I will be charged £130 if an engineer comes out and can't find the fault!

Can anybody please help this frustrated pensioner who is sick of crawling about on the floor and hitting his head on the furniture?

Tags (5)
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Noise on phone and broadband drops out.

Go to solution

welcome to the forum

please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results.

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Roboman
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Hi Distinguished Guru.

Many thanks for your very prompt reply.  I'm afraid I am not very savey with some of the more complex side of computers so you will have to excuse my ignorance.  Firstly I have put 198.168.1.254 in my browser and get quite a number of results but can't find anything that links me to any stats.  Perhaps you could guide me through this stage by stage?  I have done a BT speedtester and wonder how I can post the Test results to you (and others).  It says the download speed is 239 Kbps and Upload as 341 Kbps.  Its also states (among other things!) my DSL connection rate is 454 Kbps downstream and 424 Kbps up-stream.  IP Profile for your line is 400 Kbps.  Are more details required?

I will do a quite line test when I get hold of a corded phone (tomorrow?).  This might be useful to help with elimination tests.   

Once again many thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

if you enter 192.168.1.254 into your browser and then enter the hub manager.  you can use the a-z and look for adsl or if the go to advanced , then broadband then connection/adsl you should see a list of stats and you may have to 'show detail' at the bottm to see the rest of the stats.

you should then be able to copy and paste

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Roboman
Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Hi again

Sorry to say I can't get anywhere with the 198.168.1.254.  Get a number of web sites but they don't seem to link me to anywhere else.  I do have a 'Hub Manager' on my computer but can't get further than the password when going to 'settings'.  It won't accept the password I originally noted down or an Admin password written down by a BT Engineer when he fixed our BT Vision connections some six months ago!!  I don't want to go down the re-setting of the hub as suggest in 'forgotten password help' as this would mean changes to other equipment (wireless printer and two wireless laptops) which I know will lead to even further frustrations.

I have copied and pasted below the speedtest results done yesterday and think the next stage is, when I've got a corded phone, I'll try to get enough strength to give BT faults another call.  Is it possible the router is to blame?

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed

239 Kbps

0 Kbps

500 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speed achieved during the test was - 239 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 100-500 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :454 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 424 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 400 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 3.45:18.22:78.38 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed

341 Kbps

0 Kbps

424 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 341 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 424 Kbps

Further to the above, I have now got use of a corded phone and have tried the 'Quiet Test' and get a 'hissing' sound in the background.  Whilst doing this the broadband dropped out again as it does everytime the phone is used - even just the dialling tone.  My cordless phone was disconnected so I presume the problem does not lie with the telephone equipment?

My last speed test was taken after all the phones were disconnected, which I paste below.  It is very poor I think you will agree.  Do you also think I have now done everything possible to eliminate internal wiring fault and its time for a BT Engineer to sort this matter out?

The test has successfully completed" Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed

140 Kbps

0 Kbps

500 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speed achieved during the test was - 140 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 100-500 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :339 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 440 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 298 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 0.47:1.33:98.59 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed

348 Kbps

0 Kbps

440 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 348 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 440 Kbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Cheers

Roboman

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

you twice quoted the address you enter wrongly are you sure you entered 192.168.1.254 and NOT what you show of 198.168.1.254 which is wrong.  hub stats would really help

0 Ratings
Roboman
Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Yes I realised this morning whilst making a number of attempts that the wrong number had been put in the web search.   Now realise I have been putting this number in the wrong search box and hence have got 113 web sites!  Below is what I have now found.  Hope it is OK and of use.

<script type="text/javascript">// var isValid = menutext(); if(isValid==0) { var link = new String("home.lp"); location.href = link; } // </script>
<script src="js/table.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
My Services
BroadbandConnected
<script type="text/javascript">// var connButton = new Button("disconn","","Disconnect",function(){document.getElementById("form_action").value="0"; submitForm(document.home,0,1,"","",0,"");}); // </script>
  Disconnect  
Broadband user namebthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Broadband TalkNo account activated on your BT Home Hub
<script type="text/javascript">// var phoneButton = new Button("phone","","Activate Service",function(){GoAndRemember("talk.lp","");}); // </script>
  Activate Service  
BT FONActive
BT Power SaveNot enabled
<script type="text/javascript">// var cfgEnergy = new Button("cfgEnergy","","Configure",function(){GoAndRemember("esaving.lp","");}); // </script>
  Configure  
BT Access ControlNot enabled
<script type="text/javascript">// var cfgPareCtrl= new Button("cfgPareCtrl","","Configure",function(){GoAndRemember("parent.lp","");}); // </script>
  Configure  
My Home Network

Devices currently connected to your BT Home Hub.

<script type="text/javascript">// var trClass = ["odd", "even"]; var td1 = [ "indence w3" ]; var td2 = [ "fixedtd" ]; td1.push("Wireless"); td2.push("Unknown-00-00-48-65-e8-f1"); td1.push("Wireless"); td2.push("Roselaptop"); td1.push("Wireless"); td2.push("RogerLaptop-PC"); td1.push("Ethernet"); td2.push("roger"); td1.push("Ethernet"); td2.push("Unknown-00-90-3e-79-61-bf"); td1.push("USB"); td2.push("No devices detected"); td1.push("Telephones"); td2.push("1 handset registered"); createTable("normal fixedtable", trClass, td1, td2); // </script>
WirelessUnknown-00-00-48-65-e8-f1
WirelessRoselaptop
WirelessRogerLaptop-PC
Ethernetroger
EthernetUnknown-00-90-3e-79-61-bf
USBNo devices detected
Telephones1 handset registered
<script type="text/javascript">// var forms=document.getElementsByTagName("form"); for(var i=0; i<forms.length; i++) { var temp=document.createElement("INPUT"); temp.type="hidden"; temp.name="rn"; temp.value = readCookie('xAuth_SESSION_ID'); forms[i].insertBefore(temp, forms[i].firstChild); } // </script>
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

at least we are in the hub manager nowSmiley Wink

can you get to advanced settings and then looking for adsl stats - will show

connection time

speed

modulation

noise margin

attenuation

and errors which to get you may need to 'show detail' at the bottom of the page

0 Ratings
Roboman
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Unfortunaely, as I mentioned, I can't get further than the password which it keeps rejecting.  I have used the pw given on back of router and passwors written on my'little book' to no avail.   I do remember that we had trouble when there was a brerak in the electricity supply and had a job to unite again with the wireless printer and my wife's and my laptops.  Had to call someone in to fix this.  Looks like if I have to re-set the router by pushing in the re-set button, I'll have this problem all ove again.   Life is never easy!   If it is essential, then I try and get this IT chappy to be on hand or use Logmein.  I can't remember how he did it last time.   Have you any thoughts, based on the information so far, what the problem might be be?

0 Ratings
ark_reaper
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

try using the factory reset, that should make it so the password becomes the one on the router and makes you change it on first login(least it did with me the other day)

Tho it might cause afew issues linking some devices after

0 Ratings