cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robertl
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Noisey Phone Line

Greetings all, I came to these forums to find advice, my phone line has been very noisey for the past few weeks, and its been knocking the internet off now and again. now my question is, if i call bt out what will the cost be to me? i have a feeling its the wires in the box inside the house that i plug the phone into, the box itself is not one of those new types, its a older one which does not have a part you pull out, aka NTE5 or whatever it is, any advice would be welcomed 🙂

Rob 😄

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: Noisey Phone Line

BT will charge you about £130 if the fault is on one of your extensions.  They are responsible for everything up to the master socket.  That iincludes the wiring in your home, unless you damaged it.

If you don't have any extensions, then just plug a phone straight into the master socket, and nothing else.  If there's still noise, it must be BT's problem.

If you have extensions, you could either risk it and hope, or try disconnecting them.  Unfortunately, on the old style master sockets, the extension will be wired to the back of the master socket.  If you're going to try disconnecting them, make sure you remove the correct wires.

0 Ratings
Robertl
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

there is still noise on the line with nothing else plugged in, and we have no extensions on the line.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

In that case, it can't be your wiring!  If the noise is variable, wait until it's at its worst and phone up the fault line.  Report it as a phone line fault, even if you have broadband.  Make sure that the person on the end of the phone can hear the noise, as BT have been known to charge if no fault is found when the engineer turns up.

0 Ratings