cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jren207
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Noisy Line

Hi, I've noticed that when making various calls, the quailty of what I hear (e.g. voice) isn't always that great. This has lead me to believe that I'm experiencing some kind of noise on the line.

I've tried a quiet line test (17070, Press 2) and I can definitely hear something on the line, like a kind of humming/whooshing/faint buzzing sound.

This sound is always apparent on whichever socket I use in the house, and even with and without my broadband router and filters connected, which would rule those out as causing a problem.

Just to be sure, I tried another telephone too. This other telephone has an amplify button, and with pressing that I can hear the noise even more.

Is it normal to hear some kind of background noise, or should the line be totally quiet?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Noisy Line

with a corded phone the quiet line test should be as it suggests - quiet - no hum/hiss/whoosh.  if not quiet then report a phone fault on 151

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jren207
Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Thanks for your reply.

Before I contact anyone, would it be possible to have an idea of how much it would cost me to have this fault repaired?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

if you have used the test socket at the back of the master socket and the noise is still there there should be no charge you are only charged if the internal wiring after the master socket or your equipment is at fault if you are charged the cost is £130
0 Ratings
jren207
Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Thanks for the info.

The only problem is that I don't have a new style master socket with a split faceplate.

Instead, I have three identical looking sockets, which are wired up to a small junction box on the outside of the house below the roof. A wire then connects that to the junction box on the telephone pole.

0 Ratings
jimmehr
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 17

you have an external NTE by the sounds of it. Inside there should be a yellow plug. Once you phone line faults the person on the phone should ask you to remove that yellow plug and they will perform a line test.
You will need to phone from a mobile since disconnecting the plug will cause the sockets in the house to be disconnected.

The phone numbers for faults are:
From a landline dial:
0800 800 151

From a mobile dial:
0330 123 4151*

Use the 03 number on your mobile if the 0800 numbers are not free.
0 Ratings
jren207
Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Thanks for your reply, but I seem to have a small old style junction box.

It looks like this one:

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 17

That is a Block Terminal, you shouldn't be fiddling around in there. If you have the old type LJU for a master socket all you can do is unplug everything, test a working phone, preferably a corded one into the master socket and if its still noisy then you need to get BT to send an Openreach engineer out.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

HI this link will show you the new external NTE http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm
0 Ratings
jren207
Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Yeah I kind of knew I had one of those block terminals, as it seems only new houses have external NTE's. I also understand that I'm not allowed to touch anything on BT's side of the network.

The thing I am unsure of is how I stand on charges due to the fact that my house is wired using an old "star wired" setup, without the ability to isolate extensions using a test socket. Also the fact that there is no clear divide between what might be "my" wiring, or BT's wiring due to there not being an NTE, even though there's just wires directly from the block terminals to the sockets. I've done all the necessary testing that I can do with this setup however.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar situation to mine, and what was done about it. Was an internal NTE installed for you on the engineer's visit etc?

I'm still reluctant to contact BT due to the possibility of a large charge because of some kind of rule in the T&C's somewhere.

0 Ratings