cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyca
Beginner
Message 11 of 17

Re: Noisy Line

Hi jren207, I have the star wiring and I phoned BT today to see if I could get it replaced due to a hissing on the line, and less than optimal negotiated broadband speeds of 7616kbps on a 20Mbps contract. I realise this is not exactly slow but with 4 people all using the same connection it gets a little congested.

The response was “that will be £130 please”, I pointed out I was asking them to do it to resolve a hissing on the line and they said that they would not replace my wiring for free. I asked them where the demarcation point was and the person I spoke to didn’t know.

I may summon the strength to call again tomorrow and see if I can find someone who can tell me where the demarcation point is… then I hope to convince them to put in 4” of cable to a NTE5 socket or worst case scenario 20ft of cable if they need to go all the way out to the road.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 17

You may be on up to 20mb but your exchange may not have been upgraded to 21CN yet - you can check here  http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

Only reason for suggesting is that 7616 is max interleaved on adslmax up to 8mb and if so you may benefit by getting latency changed to fast

check you modulation in your router stats

992.1 is adslmax

992.3/992.5 21CN  adsl2/2+

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
andyca
Beginner
Message 13 of 17

Hi imjolly,

That was very informative, I am using adslmax. My exchange is CN21 enabled however I cannot connect to my provider using G.992.3 or G.992.5.

I have sent a request to enable fast as you describe here:
http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Help-need-to-disable-interleaving/m-p/207807

I will report back to let you know how I get on.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
jren207
Contributor
Message 14 of 17

This is why I'm reluctant to contact BT because shouldn't this noise problem be classed as a fault?

If so, then I assumed it would be BT's responsibility to fix the fault, even if this means replacing cabling etc, providing it's not a customer's fault, such as a faulty equipment, all free of charge.

I'd understand if a new NTE5 setup was in place, but because of the old-style star wiring, then I'm confused.

0 Ratings
andyca
Beginner
Message 15 of 17

Well, I just got off the phone with my broadband provider who said my exchange may have been upgraded but my line has not therefore they cannot change my interleaving settings.

I suspect this is Rhubarb! Any thoughts?

I totally agree about a fault being a non-chargeable service but before I get them in I just want to make sure the DEMARC is somewhere sensible like the first master switch and not somewhere stupid like the property boundary where they could decide it’s my responsibility.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 17

you don't need to be on 21CN to get your latency changed from fast to interleaved.  21cn just gives a faster connection up to 20mb whereas adslmax is up to 8mb.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 17

Hi the link you posted to is to the forum mods they will not be able help you as you are not a BT broadband customer this is a BT users forum to get Interleaving turned off you will need to contact your own broadband supplier
0 Ratings