Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 33

Noisy Phone Line and Intermittent Broadband

Go to solution

We moved from Talk Talk to BT about two months ago.  We needed an engineer within a couple of days of moving, and since then it had been ok, until last Sunday. 

We had intermittent flashing orange lights and even when the blue light was on, the internet was so slow it was impossible to use.  We logged a fault with BT, which said there was a fault within the Retail Servers. 

At the same time, our phone line was so crackly that it was almost impossible to hear.  We therefore logged a phone fault as well and were told that the fault was identified in our property.  I went through all the home checks over the phone, including taking the socket apart and plugging the phone into the hidden socket - No problems identified so an engineer was booked.  When he came, I said that I had been told that the problem was in the house-he said "yeah they like that one.  its not".

A box on the telegraph pole opposite had come open and the cable had corroded.  He did the tests in the house - said it was all working fine, and left.

Shortly afterwards - flashing orange lights again, internet cutting out, noisy phone line.

I called the engineer as I had his mobile from his phoning me.  "I have cleared the job from my terminal so I can't come back, you need to re-report it".  Call to the call centre (which was fun) after 20 minutes or so, most of me waiting for him to do not a lot as far as I could tell, the engineer has been booked again for Monday. I already had to use a day of holiday for today.  Apparently no one could come out today, on the day I had taken holiday for the engineer to come and BT couldnt help because Openreach are a separate company who provide engineer appointments. 

Now, since the call and the booking of the engineer, the phone line noise has died down and the blue light has stayed on and seems to be working ok.  They did say at the call centre that they would monitor the line for 24 hours.  Does that mean that they might have been able to do something from distance to resolve the line now that the corroded cable had been sorted? If so, should I cancel the engineer?  I don't want them to come out and say, "nothing wrong - £130 please". 

I still have two open faults (broadband one still says retail servers fault) - customer service is pretty poor - they give no real explanation of what is going on or what might happen.  And it is particularly frustrating that they cannot come out, even when i was still within the 8-1pm time window when i called back, when they had failed to remedy a fault entirely at the engineer visit.

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 33

Re: Noisy Phone Line and Intermittent Broadband

Go to solution

are you using the test socket to eliminate your setup and internal wiring from being the cause of any problems?  if engineer does not find any faults then there is no charge

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 33

Go to solution
Yes I did.

Broadband speed dropped to just about zero again so definitely not fixed. Oh well, no doubt BT are doing their best to fix i.....collect our full direct debit.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 33

Go to solution

Hi @Tedw4rd Sorry that your fault still exists. The engineer visit on Monday should fix things for you. Post back after the visit to let us know how you got on.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 33

Go to solution
I'm not sure I hold your optimism John, but fingers crossed.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 33

Go to solution

Hi @Tedw4rd,

Fingers crossed certainly but if you're still having problemns after the visit let us know and we'll look into it for you.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 33

Go to solution
Thanks David. My mum was there today as I couldn't take another day off work. I will check when I get home.

I have however received 11 texts and 11 emails (one every two minutes and continuing) saying the the job has been completed. It's the same message over and over again.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 33

Go to solution

That's odd @Tedw4rd. Could possible be a problem with the confirmation alerts but hopefully the line is sorted. Let us know once you've checked.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 33

Go to solution
The notifications stopped after I received the same message by text 25 times and by email 25 times. To rub salt into the wound, the engineer hasn't fixed the fault despite being told 50 times that they had finished.

They said that the previous engineer had not cleaned the corroded wire far enough apparently.

I am not yet home, but my girlfriend is and can't stream anything.

Why have two engineers now left without sorting the problem? Surely they run proper checks to make sure everything is back working as it should be? There is clearly something up here that they have not got to the bottom of and don't care enough to try.

I need to be able to work from home on Thursday and that means logging into my work system. This needs to be fixed.

Add your own punchlines - How many BT engineers does it take to.....
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 33

Go to solution

@Tedw4rd I'm really sorry this has not been sorted out by the engineer today. Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username .

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings