cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
327 Views
Message 1 of 11

Noisy line after infinity activated

Hi, I had infinity installed & activated whilst I was away on holiday. On my return I picked up my phone to make a phone call and the line was very noisy (it was clear before infinity activated, on our old broadband).
I have plugged my phone into the socket directly and the line is clear. It is only when I plug an ADSL filter in that the line is noisy, with or without the modem plugged in. I have tried three different phones, including a brand new BT phone, 6 ADSL filters and 1 filtered face plate, but am still getting a very noisy unusable line.
I contacted 151 and they are insisting that there is not a fault on my line and have told me that I may have a charge of £129.99 if my home equipment is faulty although I cannot see how 3 phones and 7 filters can all be faulty! It is only since infinity activated that I have had this problem.I have an engineer booked for tomorrow (Thursday), but just wondered if anyone has any ideas what this could be. Thanks
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
324 Views
Message 2 of 11

Re: Noisy line after infinity activated

if you were on holiday was it an engineer install in your home or self install?  do you have a SSFP which you would have if engineer visit

 

are you on infinity 1 or 2?



If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
323 Views
Message 3 of 11

Re: Noisy line after infinity activated

The faceplate should have been replaced with a VDSL filter when Infinity was installed.  You shouldn't need any filters if you have a new faceplate with the DSL and telephone sockets.

 

Do you have extensions?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
320 Views
Message 4 of 11

Re: Noisy line after infinity activated


@het_uk wrote:

The faceplate should have been replaced with a VDSL filter when Infinity was installed.  You shouldn't need any filters if you have a new faceplate with the DSL and telephone sockets.

 

Do you have extensions?


if you get infinity 1 then for most it is self install and there is no SSFP just filters same as adsl hence why I asked if infinity 1 or 2



If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
320 Views
Message 5 of 11

Re: Noisy line after infinity activated

It was self install, and infinity 1. No engineer visit. Used existing sockets
0 Ratings
Beginner
318 Views
Message 6 of 11

Re: Noisy line after infinity activated

No engineer visited, just self installed. No extensions. Have bought and tried filtered face plate, but no difference.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
300 Views
Message 7 of 11

Re: Noisy line after infinity activated

so if you connect filter to test socket and connect phone without router is line quiet?  when you introduce the hub is it then that you get the noise?



If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
296 Views
Message 8 of 11

Re: Noisy line after infinity activated

Hi, I have plugged the filter (several different ones) into the test socket and plugged the phone into the filter without anything plugged into the ADSL modem socket and the line is still very noisy. I unplug the filter and plug phone (have tried 3 phones, including brand new phone) straight into test socket, the line is clear. I have even purchased a face plate filter, installed that, plugged the phone in without the modem and line is still noisy. There are no extensions, just a master socket. Thanks
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
282 Views
Message 9 of 11

Re: Noisy line after infinity activated


@imjolly wrote:

@het_uk wrote:

The faceplate should have been replaced with a VDSL filter when Infinity was installed.  You shouldn't need any filters if you have a new faceplate with the DSL and telephone sockets.

 

Do you have extensions?


if you get infinity 1 then for most it is self install and there is no SSFP just filters same as adsl hence why I asked if infinity 1 or 2


As I was responding to the OP, you already did Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
276 Views
Message 10 of 11

Re: Noisy line after infinity activated


@het_uk wrote:

@imjolly wrote:

@het_uk wrote:

The faceplate should have been replaced with a VDSL filter when Infinity was installed.  You shouldn't need any filters if you have a new faceplate with the DSL and telephone sockets.

 

Do you have extensions?


if you get infinity 1 then for most it is self install and there is no SSFP just filters same as adsl hence why I asked if infinity 1 or 2


As I was responding to the OP, you already did Smiley Happy


I was just showing that just because you have infinity installed you need not necessarily have had a new filtered faceplate fitted



If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings