cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 24

Re: Noisy line causing broadband problems

true but they are very persistent and are known not to give up until the problem is resolved and if needed they will continue to send engineer until it is fixed
0 Ratings
morrita
Contributor
Message 12 of 24

Thanks for the reply John. I'm quite persistent aswell 🐵 Since this has been logged as a fault with BT I'd prefer a single point of contact to get it fixed. Whatever the root-cause I'm sure it'll all come out in the wash.

Its a real shame that it's taking so long to fix though.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 24

then the mods are your best single point of contact as they will take personal ownership until the problem is resolved and will keep you updated on progress
0 Ratings
morrita
Contributor
Message 14 of 24

Thanks for the reply astar27. The condition seems to be irrespective of whether the weather's wet outside or what the outside temperature is.

0 Ratings
morrita
Contributor
Message 15 of 24

Just a thought astar27 - both engineers who have visited so-far have tested the line using JDSU units. Amonst other functionality this includes Time Domain Reflectometry and I'd have expected this to reveal any HR problems or step changes in impedence. I could be wrong though.

http://www.jdsu.com/en-us/test-and-measurement/products/a-z-product-list/pages/hst-3000.aspx

0 Ratings
astar27
Expert
Message 16 of 24

yes a jdsu is the standard kit bt openreach carry. it's a good piece of kit, i have one and use it on a day to day basis albeit not for the quite the same type of fault finding like openreach do. it could really be anything, without seeing the results or the line myself I wouldn't know how to make a tangible guess at what it is.

it could be a mixture of things, oxidised joints etc, battery contact (unlikely), but could be. Have engineers only done testing from your master socket? or have they been out at different points along the line and tested the loop balance?

Determining a line fault is via the testers we have (JDSU, EXFO, HAWK, 9083, Mole). Depending on what meter/s the engineers have depends on how many they have to use (see first point about JDSU/EXFO). The main fault conditions are .... Battery contact (one line is in contact with another line). Earth contact (the insulation has corroded on the wires and the bare metal is touching 'earth'). Short Circuit (Bothe wires ... called A and B ... are touching each other). Disconnection (One or both of the wires are 'cut' or corroded somewhere). High Resistance (Commonly known as HR ... means that corrosion is eating away at the wire but it hasn't completely gone through, usually giving a noisy phone line by way of a loud crackle, and severly erroring data on the broadband side of things). Earth and Loop conditions are generally (85% approx) inside the EU's premises. Disconns, HR's and batt contacts are generally in the network. I would suggest extensive testing needs to be done on the E-side and D-side as different investigation, primarily focusing on the D-side which sounds where this fault lies. 

morrita
Contributor
Message 17 of 24

Thanks astar27. The 2 chaps who visited so-far certainly tested from my master socket and I'm unclear what other testing they did outside as they never said. They did put a transmitting device on my master socket then dissapeared outside for 15 - 20 mins so I'd assume that they're measuring signal quality from my master socket back into the network.

They have swapped me onto the alternative pair coming into my house, and also to an alternative pair from the junction box neaby back to the main junction box in my estate. This happened 6 weeks ago and seemed to remedy the problem for that period of time. However the noise problem re-appeared suddenly on the evening of 25/6 - no change in weather, no changes made to my internal broadband or telephone setup.It feels like someone made a change out there on the network OR something has suddenly gone faulty.

The only difference I'm seeing this time round is that it seems to be effecting my upsteam voice and adsl signal as people can now hear noise on the line when I speak. Also the upstream sync speed iand noise margins are being effected in ways not seen previously.

Since the fault is very evident I'm hoping that BT have a process for troubleshooting this back to the source. Or whether signals introduced by my master socket are being distorted backthe way.

Any distortion and noise that's being introduce by a source (either the exchange or my master socket) could then be tracked by re-checking the signal at each junction box between the exchange and my house. My guess is that they're eliminiating the usual suspects firstly.

Not being a telecomms engineer myself I'm only following logic you-understand and I'm sure there's a lot more to it than I perceive. Fresh statistics below:

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 00:50:14
Downstream:283 Kbps
Upstream:315 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):4.4 dB / 13.4 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):42.0 dB / 24.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):0.0 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):8978376 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):14410 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 34
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):22 / 34
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):19086 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 24

you are only showing 50 minutes connection just a matter of waiting for the mods to contact you and get things moving for you they will check on what work has already been done by Openreach and get additional checks carried out
0 Ratings
astar27
Expert
Message 19 of 24

it's almost certainly looking like a hr fault, all the usual symptoms for it.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 24

yes i agree astar27  down to the mods to get OR back again to investigate further

0 Ratings