cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
morrita
Contributor
Message 21 of 24

Re: Noisy line causing broadband problems

Engineer scheduled for Wednesday. Lets hope he or she is kitted out to look carefully for HR faults.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 24

keep us posted please
0 Ratings
morrita
Contributor
Message 23 of 24

Engineer called at the house yesterday for a 3rd visit. Using the same JDSU unit as the other 2 Engineers used he detected a further 3 termination issues between our house and the main cabinet. Must have used the TDR as he mentioned a fault 150m away. Once the terminations were re-crimped all audible line noise dissapeared. Engineer was also good enough to re-set the noise margin back to 6 dB hence putting my sync speed back to around 10 Mb per sec. Looking at the stats below it is interesting that Latency type is now 'fast' as it was previously 'interleaved'.

It looks like it was an HR problem afterall. Since this has given me another denial of service for around 2 weeks following a similar outage 6 weeks ago they have refunded half a months line rental (£7). A nice gesture but not a great recompense for the amount of grief this has caused and due to no fault of my own.

Apparently these faults happen frequently in my area and largely down to the distribution network being old and consisting of aluminium cabling laid in the 1970's. I don't think that BT Infinity will help these issues because it only delivers fiber to the cabinet i.e. exchange-side and the IP traffic gets routed through the same legacy distribution network.

I'm glad my connection is stable again but given what has previously happened I'll wait for a couple of months of stability before assuming this is properly fixed. Atleast I know the fault is not down to something in my property. Given the amount of downtime suffered and the time spent following-up and getting time off work to allow Engineers to visit I am not feeling this is a great service but since I have nothing to compare it with I'll stay with BT for a bit longer. I know that Sky  et al deliver theiir IP service over BT's network anyway, leaving Virgin as the only viable alternative that uses optical end-to-end. 

Thanks to everyone who responded to my updates - I think there's a lot of value in this forum and would recommend that all BT engineers tune-in just to obtain a customer's perspective.

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 21:04:44
Downstream:10,715 Kbps
Upstream:1,163 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):4.9 dB / 5.5 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):39.0 dB / 22.4 dB
Output power (Down/Up):0.0 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):2722 / 402
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):19721 / 429
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 114

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 24

Hi Glad all is now working ok if you ever need help in the future please post back
0 Ratings