Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Noisy line too!

Go to solution

Can anyone help? I hope someone will take on my case.

I have been experiencing a noisy line problem for many months. I have used the BT faulty line test facility on the website but it always comes up as ok. I have even upgraded the faceplate to an Openreach Mark 3 with built in filter hoping that this will make a difference but it hasn’t.

My set up is simple: I have no extension sockets or wiring, just a cordless phone plus additional handset with base unit plugged straight into the master socket via the above faceplate.

I have inserted new batteries on both cordless handsets hoping this would be it. But still no improvement. I have now paid for a new corded telephone to try out thinking maybe it’s just cordless technology. Still noisy and crackling and it’s a brand new phone.

Today, I have tested both phones, cordless and corded on the test socket and both are noisy. I have also called the 17070 quiet line test. Still no good.

What I am disappointed about in particular is that my old BT master socket was only upgraded to Openreach about 3 months ago. Sky were kind enough to send out an engineer free of charge to sort out my broadband issues which appears to be more phone related now. I remember him disconnecting old extension wiring and removing some crimps which were obsolete. He was gone in around 15 minutes. I was hoping the new master socket would solve all my problems but it hasn’t. That’s when I fitted the Openreach faceplate.

I really do think the next stage now is for some competent experienced engineer to fix this noisy line problem once and for all. I do feel I have done my bit and gone to some expense myself to improve things. I would also like some assurance that I’m not going to be charged because sods law, they can’t find any fault.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Noisy line too!

Go to solution
If you can hear the noise at the test socket then there should be no charge as you need an Openreach visit to resolve the noise problem
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Who arranges this? What do I do now? Shall I report fault on 151? Does this mean I have to speak to the Indian call centre and go through the rigmarole of unscrewing the master socket again etc plugging and unplugging phones just to prove that I have a problem? Is there a simpler way of arranging the engineer visit? What happens if he can't find any fault when he tests it? Will I still be charged? Knowing my luck, I will end up with someone who is clueless. I've already had one visit.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
yes you have to arrange the visit via faults on 151 if you can hear noise at the test socket then there should be no charge as the fault is on the Openreach network
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you John46 for your speedy response. I shall give it a try with a degree of trepidation. Fingers crossed, I shall let you and anyone reading this know how I get on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

The engineer arrived this week and was dealt with by my other half therefore the info I got is second hand.

Anyway, from what was told there was indeed a problem with the phone line. Hallelujah! Some old aluminium wiring was replaced by copper wiring and this work was done outside the property. Interestingly, from what we thought was a drain cover on the pavement outside, was in fact the telephone wiring/connections to the house.

Two days on and the phone line seems to be okay but time and usage will tell so I am not prepared to mark this issue as closed yet. I will give it another month or two.

I know I will not get charged for this call out.... well, I am not expecting to be anyway as it is clearly an external problem. However, I would very much like to point out that from a customer service perspective, BT ought to provide a single free engineer visit to long standing customers. I appreciate why they have to charge and I guess it is to prevent unnecessary callouts. I myself am a customer of at least 10 years and a gesture of goodwill would not have gone amiss. I am also with Sky and have been with them for a much shorter period and they sent out an engineer without too much trouble free of charge.

Furthermore, the online fault testing facility is clearly inaccurate as well as inadequate. How can this be relied on for testing when each time this was tried, the line tested ok? Yet, my line was clearly not ok!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
it is Openreach that raise the charge and pass it to the service provider be that Sky BT Talk Talk or whoever and all the provider does is pass the charge on to the customer
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Phone line has been working very well and no problems to date. I have also checked my account and no charge has appeared. Happy days 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9
Moved:

Go to solution
0 Ratings