cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Noisy line (which maybe affecting BB speeds)

Not sure if this is right part of forum as problem straddles phone and BB.

Our phone line has become noisy. An intermittent crackle some months ago, now mainly a sort of hiss, with occasional crackle over that, which affects some conversations.

I had occasion to phone my ISP a few weeks back (not BT) as speeds were becoming silly with frequent dropouts and resynchs at low speeds. The CS adviser remarked on how noisy the phone line was and that was probably the problem. They have changed the, umm I think it's called noise margin twice now that has resulted in more stable but slower still than previous speeds. Gone from around 4.5-5Mb/s to 2.2-3.2Mb/s.

They said to tell BT about the noise but not mention broadband. It seems they are not keen to do anything much unless it is also BT BB. Is this common?

A couple years ago our line went dead and the Openreach engineer found a break (lines are underground) and was able to utilise a disused line. Also he replaced the original one piece socket that was faulty with a BT two piece one I had. It was that or the only one he had, a Virgin socket. Result was line OK but BB speeds a bit down.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Noisy line (which maybe affecting BB speeds)

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2   if line noisey and BT provide your phoneline then phone 151 and report a phone fault  nothing to do with broadband

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
reg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Hi thanks. I did the quiet line test after seeing your post and to my surprise it was quiet. Another time I tried that (week or 2 ago) it wasn't - constant hiss. BT do provide line. I'll try again in a day or so.

0 Ratings
steveha
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

151 are useless. I have a similar problem every time it rains. I explain this carefully to BT but they will only send an engineer in 2 days time. I warn them that the problem may have temporarily disappeared by then. They claim to understand that and say that they have noted it and the engineer WILL resolve it. 

Engineer turns up, can't hear the fault and declines to take any action and that he would be in trouble if he did. Get text from BT saying phone is fixed! Call 151 again who robo-apologise and book an engineer for 2 days time 😞  I explain the problem again and they promise this time s/he WILL resolve the issue.

Sigh 

0 Ratings
steveha
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Another engineer turned up and (not being afraid off heights) got out his ladder and fixed the problem 🙂

0 Ratings
steveha
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

AND NOW I HAVE BEEN CHARGED £130 FOR THE PRIVLIDGE!

I ring up and they can see the total of my bill but not the individual items so they can't do anything.

And their english is as poor as ever. 

They told me to ring again tomorrowSmiley Mad 

BT is a complete disaster! 

0 Ratings
Community Manager - Retired
Message 7 of 7

Hi steveha,

The billing Live Chat team should be able to look into this for you.

You can find them by going to the "Bills & Call Packages" forum and clicking on the Chat banner at the top of the page.

Stephanie
0 Ratings