cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
martinrabson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Noisy phone line ADSL disconnect - Copper cable and Infinity Fibre - should I risk Infinity?

Go to solution

Some questions and info.

Having tried to find out information from BT with no-one giving a definitive answer, everyone at BT I have spoken to “thinks this” or “it is probably that” I pose the following;

Is BT infinity the responsibility (property) of BT Wholesale or BT Broadband, will both my phone line and ADSL broadband be routed through the fibre or separately, with the phone going through the older copper (faulty) cable?

Presuming both Phone and ADSL are routed through the new Fibre;

If I sign up to BT Infinity and the telephone line is still noisy what will be the situation regarding the copper cable running the 70-80 meters down the road from Flat to Infinity Cabinet, will it still be ignored or may BT Wholesale take further action on a shorter less expensive repair - replacement?

Information

BT telephone line + BT Broadband (Home-hub Black)

4.5 - 5.5 km (long) distance est. to exchange (Putney, London SW15)

Block of Flats with 12 Flats, mine is 2nd Floor SW15 3DU, adjacent to Kingston University Roehampton Campus. 8-10 BT manhole access covers along street to Street Cabinets. Then from ASDA Roehampton 🙂 a long sweep up A3 to junction and down to Putney.

Infinity fibre Street Cabinet installed finished 4th quarter 2010 - 70-80 meters from Flat approx at end of road.

4-5 BT Engineer visits over the years, never any fault found, one swapped Cable Pairs, no improvement.

Last Engineer visit was billed (but refunded after complaint). Cannot risk another visit and a charge.

BT tests always show no fault.

No extensions or other additions to telephone installation. BT line box with test socket. Only 1x phone (many different ones tried over years, tested with friends phones), 8x filters currently to try.

No faxes, or other telephonic equipment installed.

Having had a very noisy telephone line for years with no sign of it being repaired I am resigned to it, although it can be very frustrating. Obviously the ASDL Internet connection is very unstable when noise it at its worst.

Noise is the usual common combination of 'crackling' 'scratching' 'rusting' 'high frequency whistling'.

Worse during wet damp weather, and during day time, with increasing noise during peak times. The noise is less and Internet synchronisation more stable during night time hours 11.00 pm – 8.00 am.

Lifting telephone receiver will often trigger Home-Hub to de-sync and Orange light will flash in the usual manner.

17070 'quiet line test' very noisy, but sometimes quiet, though there is always a soft hushing noise even when it is usable.

When really bad the Home-Hub will go into a reboot cycle (poor thing).

This problem has become worse since the Infinity installation was carried out, so I presume some old joints or boxes are being disturbed as people move over to Infinity .

Test results look OK but they always do, as I expect you have all seen this many times before. Here they are anyway.

BT speedtester

Download speed achieved during the test was - 2042 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1200-4000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3859 Kbps (DOWN-STREAM), 443 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 1.98:15.74:82.28 (SBE: NBE: PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 366 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 443 Kbps

BT Home-Hub

ADSL line status

Connection information

• Line state    Connected
  • Connection time    0 days, 0:24:47
  • Downstream    3,859 Kbps
  • Upstream    443 Kbps

ADSL settings

• VPI/VCI    0/38
  • Type    PPPoA
  • Modulation    ITU-T G.992.3
  • Latency type    Interleaved
  • Noise margin (Down/Up)    6.1 dB / 16.8 dB
  • Line attenuation (Down/Up)    56.0 dB / 33.9 dB
  • Output power (Down/Up)    0.0 dBm / 12.9 dBm
  • Loss of Framing (Local)    11
  • Loss of Signal (Local)    222
  • Loss of Power (Local)    0
  • FEC Errors (Down/Up)    0 / 4294967264
  • CRC Errors (Down/Up)    23 / 2147480000
  • HEC Errors (Down/Up)    nil / 0
  • Error Seconds (Local)    1920

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Noisy phone line ADSL disconnect - Copper cable and Infinity Fibre - should I risk Infinity?

Go to solution

Given the history of your problem I would Contact Mods at
forum.moderation.team@bt.com
include a link to this topic account number and phone number

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Re: Noisy phone line ADSL disconnect - Copper cable and Infinity Fibre - should I risk Infinity?

Go to solution

from all the problems you describe you do have a lot of error seconds for only 24mins connected.  However for you attenuation of 56 you have what appears a good connection with noise margin of 6 and a speed of 3859.

you are on 21CN but only adsl2 and not 2+ but due to your distance from the exchange that probably would make little difference

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@martinrabson wrote:

Is BT infinity the responsibility (property) of BT Wholesale or BT Broadband,

Which part ?  Infinity is a service provided over connections to the local exchange, operated and maintained by Openreach, using a network provided and maintained by BTWholesale.

But you shouldn't have to deal with either of them directly - you service and contract agreement is with BTs retail broadband division - BT Broadband.

will both my phone line and ADSL broadband be routed through the fibre or separately, with the phone going through the older copper (faulty) cable?

The 'phone service uses the old copper wires all the way from the exchange to your premises. The broadband is over fibre from the exchange to the fibre cabinet, and over the copper wires from the cabinet to your premises.

Presuming both Phone and ADSL are routed through the new Fibre;

They're not.

If I sign up to BT Infinity and the telephone line is still noisy what will be the situation regarding the copper cable running the 70-80 meters down the road from Flat to Infinity Cabinet, will it still be ignored or may BT Wholesale take further action on a shorter less expensive repair - replacement?

Any faulty copper shouldn't be ignored, regardless of the service it's carrying !

If the problem is on the copper between the exchange and the old cabinet, the problem will still be there on Infinity but won't affect the Infinity service.

If the problem is between the cabinet and your premises, it has potential to affect the Infinity service. However...as Infinity is engineer install, and the minimum speed for Infinity is 15Mbps, I wouldn't expect it to be a problem...if it is, I'd have thought the Openreach (not Wholesale) engineer would fix it.

martinrabson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the replies and advice it is appreciated. I understand this forum is run by other users of BT services so many thanks indeed Smiley Happy

I'll go Infinity, my best bet and hope the inceased power of the Fibre is stable. Thanks again !

Ignore below rubbish, left just for funzies.

Well that was a waste of time. The Infinity Sales offered me 40 gb option at £18.00 pm but with no guarantees to it working, how does that work and with a £25.00 non returnable engineer fee? I must be missing something here.

Was tranfered from Infinity sales to BT customer options regarding possible help and fee waiver but nothing can be done, then was tranfered to Indian call center, same old circle of fun.

The BT Option lady asked somebody and told me the following.

BT Infinity = Fibre optic from Exchange to Street Cabinet - Copper from Cabinet to Home line box (new) and Fibre Optic from line box to Home-Hub? LOL sound like a sales gimmick. The 1.5 mtrs of fibre will make so much difference won't it.

Mobile Broadband ! That may be my next route.

Will now contact mods as Hamish suggested, thanks for the email link.

MR

It has helped me decide to attempt BT Infinity after all. I will then have to report the phone line problems again and hope it gets fixed. But I should get better Internet stability by the look of it, fingers crossed.

Thanks, Martin Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
martinrabson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply from the moderation team.

For the last three days from around the 6th January 2010 since I ordered BT Infinity service my phone line for the first time in years is completely noise free and the Internet has had no problems remaining in sync. This is despite considerable rain that has always triggered the noise in the past. Admittedly this is only a few days but the line seems very quiet. Quietest ever in 6 years or so.

I have received no confirmation that anything has been done to repair any fault or that any fault was actually found. I am now happy that my phone line seems normal, but of course hoping it does not degrade.

Why did this long term problem seem to fix itself, that several engineers visits and dozens of complaints never did anything.

I ordered BT Infinity ? I am paranoid.

0 Ratings
martinrabson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Cancelled Infinity as the noise returned and was advised by BT not to deal with Broadband until the phone line is fixed. So booked an engineers visit.

They arrived on Thurs 27th Jan. There were two of them! and were different. These guys had been installing Infinity until being pulled back to work on line faults. They really seemed interested about my long term problem and did everything differently. Not a BT laptop in site. A check on my install and the line with a test unit and having attached a small device to the two cables, they wandered off to explore.

These guys were of a different calibre from the previous engineers I have had visit me, they were open friendly and seemed to really care. Smiley Happy

The result, they changed the cable between my local Street cabinet and the exchange ! And my phone line has never been so quiet in all the years I've lived in this flat with a BT phone line. And of course the internet is fine now.

I suppose this does prove the point that everything eventually comes to those that wait and that perseverance does pay. So I am happy now, case closed and will decide if to go Infinity in a few months of stable copper cable phone line and ADSL.

And big big THANKYOU to the two engineers who went the extra mile !!

0 Ratings
martinrabson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
Now enjoying Infinity, fast stable, not a single issue, very pleased.
0 Ratings