Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
summerisle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Non NTE5 master - will they charge me?

Go to solution
I have an old style (2A?) master socket and an extension coming from it downstairs. There is an intermittent fault in which i get a continuous dial tone when trying to ring out. Incoming calls seem to be OK. An engineer is due on Weds and I am worried that I will be charged but feel this would be unfair as the master socket is customer inaccessible. I have read that BT's responsibility ends at the master socket but if they installed the extension then how would I access the wiring at the master socket if it is illegal for me to remove the faceplate? Surely the master should be replaced by an NTE5 socket at no cost to me??
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: Non NTE5 master - will they charge me?

Go to solution

If they prove that the fault is on your own telephone they WILL charge for the visit, however if they prove the fault into the wire past the main socket towards any extension socket they normally will just disconnect the wiring that is faulty and fit the new NTE5.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
summerisle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
It's definitely not the telephone as I have tried several. It could well be in the wiring towards the extension but if they disconnect that and fit a new NTE5 upstairs (for free) I'll be happy.
0 Ratings
brazenscroll
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Sorry, but I think you will get a £127.99 bill, unless the fault is away from your property. If you need a new box fitting or the extension socket sorting, the engineer will happily do it, but I would think you will get a "reviosed direct debit" instruction through to take into account the £127.99 fee for the Openreach engineer to visit.

Reason is Openreach charge BT for every visit, and BT are under pressure to pass that charge on.

Sorry for the not-good news

0 Ratings
summerisle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
Seems a bit unfair for something out of my control and to do with their equipment
0 Ratings
brazenscroll
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Very unfair, I agree. Its on your property, you dont own it, you cant touch it, you cant maintain it, and you have to pay to get it fixed. I had something similar with a fault, and fought like mad to get the charge waived. But it took a lot of doing.

See if you know anyone (handyman) who could check it out for you? Might just need a new socket and any electrician can do it, its only 4 wires.

0 Ratings
summerisle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
I do know a spark actually so might ask him.

I have a feeeling the fault is in the extension wiring as the downstairs phone had a constant ring when plugged in and i now dont use it.
0 Ratings
summerisle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
As I thought, the fault lay in the extension wiring. The engineer disconnected it, fitted a new NTE5 box and my broadband is now downloading at 5.5Mbps compared to 3Mbps beforehand. Shows what a stable line and a decent microfilter can do!! Oh and it didn't cost me a penny 🙂 Thanks for all the replies.
0 Ratings
dofben
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

You say it didn't cost you. Was the job done by the bt engineer or your sparky friend?I think I may have a similar problem with old wires and boxes,TA

0 Ratings
summerisle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
It was BT engineer. He confirmed that it was dodgy extension wiring but that as it was not accessible by the customer it was up to BT to update the master socket and disconnect the extension wiring. It is a pain running wireless from the bedroom but with a decent microfilter (ADSL Nation XF-1e), my speeds have never been better. Good luck!
0 Ratings