cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hayley040904
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Non standard BT socket causing slow broadband speed?

I am hoping someone can help me. The main BT socket which leads into our house was disconnected by a previous tenant. The socket we are using is not a proper BT socket. I have taken a picture of the socket but am not sure how to add this to my message. Our broadband is seriously slow and I think the socket we are using may be to blame. is there anyone who could advise if this is definitely the problem and whether I would get charged by BT to reconnect it?
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Non standard BT socket causing slow broadband speed?

there is no telling if it is the cause however yes you would be charged if Openreach are called out to change the socket as it would be considered as customer damage to their property
0 Ratings
Hayley040904
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Well the socket is still there it just needs reconnecting. How can it be classed as customer damage to their property if BT were the ones who disconnected it ?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

You posted this comment "The main BT socket which leads into our house was disconnected by a previous tenant." that is why it would be chargeable disconection of  Openreach wiring is classed as damage 

0 Ratings
Hayley040904
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Yes but the tenant didn't physically disconnect it, BT did at his request. Would this have made a difference?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

yes it is likely to as I doubt there is any record of that being done all you can do is try and get it re connected but be aware there is a possible up to £130.00 charge
0 Ratings
Hayley040904
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Thanks for that.
0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 8 of 13

Thats a new one on me John. The customer says BT disconnected the main socket on the advice of the tenant? If the tenant was worried about someone else using his line. Why not put a temporary stop on it or incoming only till new subscriber calls to verify they want service. Dont know any  BT engineers that have been called out in the past to do that. If a fault condition occurs      in the house the line could be taken out of service from the exchange. Imagine the engineer call outs to remove the incoming  line pair to the master socket if everybody wanted that. ??? I have handled temp stop advice notes none needed to enter the house. Is this a change of BT policy?

0 Ratings
Hayley040904
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

I have since spoken to my landlord who tells me the tenant had the socket disconnected as he wanted other lines set up around the house. He ran his business from home and wanted one line for business and another for private.
0 Ratings
Hayley040904
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Our house was originally part of the house next door so I don't think it's ever had its own dedicated main phone socket.
0 Ratings