Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gspearson
Expert
Message 1 of 9

Not Complaining - just intrigued

Go to solution

Having had a boost engineer here back in September, who gave me a 75M download speed for a week, I'm now following the vagaries of speed. After the 75, the speed fell back to a very consistent 65  for two months. Then this week it moved to 69.9 and has stayed for 5 days.  The download noise figure has moved from 6.1 to 4.6. No complaints - but how is the data rate shown by the Hub now higher than the Max data rate?  I'm on Infinity 2, 50 metres as the crow flies from the box.

data rate.JPG

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Not Complaining - just intrigued

Go to solution

The max rate is the speed at which you would sync at now if you re-synced, it is lower than your actual because the noise has increased. At the tim eyou synced at 74M the noise would have been lower. The hub always attempts to sync with a noise margin of 6dB.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Your phone line is obviously longer than 50m otherwise you would get 80mb easy - must have a detour somewhere 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

It does, it goes round the back of the houses so is probably 120m - it is a tease to see the cabinet across the road.  The boost engineer said the dreaded word aluminium.

0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@licquorice thank you. The hub rebooted itself out of the usual 15 day cycle.  I find the noise figure confusing - in the days when I was a licensed radio amateur, high signal to noise ratio was important but this noise figure reduces when things get better.  I think you are telling me that if if I reboot the hub, the connection speed might revert to the excellent 65 from the present brilliant 69.9.

Geoff

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Indeed. The figure isn't signal to noise ratio, its signal to noise ratio margin.

0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

The current programme of increasing speed for Infinity 1 talks of reducing the margin to 3dB - this is not what is going on here then, as I'm on I2?  It is just  one of those things.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

The reduction of noise margin is still being trialled but applies to infinity 1 & 2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

I'll just have to wait until it reboots again. I'm not tempting fate by forcing the issue.

0 Ratings