cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

Not Great Broadband Speed

I'm fairly new to BT and have found that since coming from my previous supplier in August(same exchange/house/internal equipment) my speeds have decreased from around 14mbps to 8/9mbps

When I first joined BT speeds were nearer 14 and sometimes 15, but then since a few of router resets (I know this can affect the speed the line syncs at) - things have settled around 8.

I've checked with the master socket and done the BT speedtests. Is there anything that can be done to bring the speeds up to something close to what I'd previously been getting?

From the BT Wholeslae speed test:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 8.47 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 8.55 Mbps

From the basic speedtest:

The speed coming into your house

Connection speed 9.69Mb

Could be improved

The speed you get at your computer

• Download speed 8.48Mb
  • Upload speed 0.84Mb

Poor 

Connection details from last router reset - 5 days ago.

19:55:49, 16 Oct.(334241.520000) DSL noise margin: 5.90 dB upstream, 12.10 dB downstream
19:55:48, 16 Oct.

(334240.510000) DSL line rate: 1112 Kbps upstream, 9688 Kbps downstream

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Not Great Broadband Speed

Have you tried the test socket instead of the master socket? Your noise margin is high at 12 and if you can get that down to normal 6db then that would increase your connection speed

Is your router dropping connection which would cause the high noise margin

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Message 3 of 7

Router has been on and off until last week - partly to see if a restart would improve the speed (which I understand now it won't) - but also due electrics tripping due a washing machine thats now replaced, but since then its been up for 5 days and stable around 8 mbps.

I have also tried the test socket but didn't improve things. Ideally don't want to try again now, as that will reset uptime to 0, and I believe BT won't alter anything at their end without a 3 day uptime?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Can you post stats from the hh4 that shows your connection time?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

Is this the one?

Internet Connection Configuration

Connection Information
Connection time:5 days, 00:06:16
Data Transmitted/Received:2.3 GB / 288.6 MB
Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password:Not configured

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:5 days, 00:06:55
Downstream:9.461 Mbps
Upstream:1.086 Mbps
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

That's it. When the mods read your posts they will post a link for you to contact them and then get your noise margin reset

Highlighted
Message 7 of 7

Hi grahamjenks,

Welcome and thanks for posting. I can help with this. Drop me an email with the details. You'll find the "contact us" form in the about me section of my profile. 

Cheers

David

0 Ratings