cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 10

Not a BT customer - how can I remove BTWifi-X

Hello, I've never been a BT customer but I have spent a week in a holiday home where BT infinity was being installed. Since then I've had BTWifi-X and BTWifi-with-Fon showing up as available networks.  (see picture) Of course I have no way now of logging in and removing these from the available networks. I want them off my computer (running Windows 7) help please.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Not a BT customer - how can I remove BTWifi-X

You will be seeing them coming from othe nearby BT customer`s home hubs.

This page may help

http://www.tp-link.us/faq-281.html

Or

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg252588%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 10

I don't think these are coming from nearby hubs, this is what I see when I manage wireless networks via my control pane - not a BT network in sight.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 10

Normally you can forget the networks by right clicking them might have to be via wireless networks panel under the control panel somewhere.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

The "manage wireless networks" that you see via the control panel only shows networks that you have connected to at some point. It does not show wireless networks that you have never connected to or are being transmitted near to you.

The wireless networks that you see in your first post are wireless networks that are transmitting near enough to your computer to be picked up by your wireless network card. They are not "on" your computer. The only thing that is happening is that your computer can "see" the wireless networks. The connection would only be "on" your computer if you selected it an connected to it by entering the wireless password for that network.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 10

Ahhh I assumed these were saved networks. Looking at the screenshot these look to be broadcast by someone so unremoveable. I'd guess a neighbour has changed isp
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 10

Thanks for your help folks. The odd thing is these do not show up on my PC, only on my laptop. I've searched for ages for a solution, following the law of sod now I've signed up here I've found a solution elsewhere. The second solution on this page has now removed them. netsh wlan add filter permission=block ssid="BTWifi-X" networktype=infrastructure

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Is your PC wireless enabled and is the wireless turned on.

Each to their own but I don't see why you needed to block them. The signal is still there, it is just not showing up on your computer's list of networks.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

One machine may have a better wireless chip installed. I sometimes see SSID's on my laptop that my iPhone doesn't pick up.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 10

gg30340 wrote:

Each to their own but I don't see why you needed to block them. The signal is still there, it is just not showing up on your computer's list of networks.

Have to agree with that. Between 20 and 30 SSIDs float around here fluttering their eyelashes at me, a veritable Who's Who of ISPs. Blocking them would be a bit like keeping my curtains drawn so I can't see the cars parked in our street by commuters from the nearby station.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.