Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 18

Not able to use phone

Go to solution

The problem is that we can't use the landland phone because there is no dial tone absalute silence,ocassionally if I check the line there will  be a loud rushing noise.

Broadband connection is steady at 18,989 down with SNR of 4 db and 1128 up with SNR of 5 db.

My set up is - The main line in is a drop lead through the window into an old style Telecom connection box,then out the other side to an old style Non NTE5 BT wall socket, into this socket I have an inline filter and the phone and router are pluged into this filter.

I've tried 4 different filters and 2 different phones but the problem remains, any ideas please.

Ta,

Del.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Not able to use phone

Go to solution
Hi Del

It looks like you need Openreach to look at the fault i would suggest trying the online fault checker and report the problem there
0 Ratings
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks John, as I said an engineer is booked for the week after next,but I was hoping for a solution in the mean, just wondered if I'd missed something obvious.

Del.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution
as you do not have a test socket and have tried new filters and other known working phones there is nothing left that you can do
0 Ratings
Icarus
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Sounds like a one leg DIS, more than likely the B leg. Also with a steady connection of 18mbps I would say the DIS is very close to your property.

0 Ratings
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks john and Icarus - what is a one leg DIS ?Smiley Sad - BT did line tests which came back normal.

I'm also a bit worried about the intermittent wooshing noise, sounds like I'm connecting to a computer that's going to clock me up a large bill.

If it's a line fault is my BB also going to drop out ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution
just one side of the copper pair disconnected nothing that serious not expensive 😉
0 Ratings
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks John,could be where the line runs through the trees outside my cottage then .

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

Hi

The only test you can do (as recommended by BT Retail call centre) is to unplug everything from all of your telephone sockets. this must include any DIY extension kits, double adaptors, extension cables/leads. as well as sky boxes, routers, alarms, phones, answering machines, care alarms.

Then plug a known working corded telephone into  the main socket ( or what you think is the 1st socket on the system from where the line comes into your premises)

Make a couple of outgoing calls, get someone to call you.

Is there noise on the call?

Does the phone actually ring or does it "trip"

As long as you have done as much as can to prove the fault is not in your premises you "should" not be charged for the visit.

However, to cover themselves the BT Retail Call centre will always read the standard message about call out charges.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

Hi Dave, yea ! did all of that,I have a simple set up,don't have any extensions,only hub and phone into the only socket we have,tried different filters and diferent corded phones all to no avail.Strange that BB is solid as a rock.

I'm in Barnstaple BTW Smiley Happy

0 Ratings