cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Not allowed Infinity 2

I was very happy when my exchange & cabinet were upgraded to FTTC this week, but when I placed my order with BT, they would only allow me Infinity 1 and not Infinity 2.

They say this is because my Low Downstream Line Rate is only 39.3Mb and below their 40Mb cutoff.

This means that I can only get a maximum speed of 40Mb despite my line having a potential High Downstream Line Rate of 59.6Mb

They say this is so I'm not paying for the faster rate when at times I won't be getting it. But I don't care, as long as am getting faster rates some/most of the time.

I am currently on a Business account (to get the better contention ratio), but if anyone knows how I can get onto Infinity 2, I'll happily change to residential or even another provider.

Thanks

fttc-me.jpg

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Not allowed Infinity 2

as a business customer you should post here  https://business.forums.bt.com/

on residential they have let customers select infinity 2 where estimated speed is lower than infinity 1 level

you should not use residential if you really are business user

must admit I am surprised they are stopping you take out infinity 2 as long as you understand you may not get the benefit over infinity 1 and you will be paying more

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Thanks imjolly, I've posted where you suggested.

Do you think there is much value in the business vs residential contention ratio difference?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

If you are a business user BT possibly won't allow Infinity 2 because of the SLA that you have. If you were to complain about getting the lowest speed estimated they would be obliged to try and fix it where as with Infinity 1 you would be getting the top speed for that package and there would be no cause to complain.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Which do you think would have a better usage experience:

40Mb @ Business contention ratio

or

60Mb @ REsirential contention ratio

??

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

there is no way to know if you can get 60mb as that is top estimate  you are more likely to be below that.  also depends on how active you can is and then the exchange

I think more important is the SLA between business and residential - as you run a business can you afford to be without internet and/or phone for 3 working days?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

@maku wrote:

Which do you think would have a better usage experience:

@40Mb @ Business contention ratio

or

@60Mb @ REsirential contention ratio

??

Unless you are a heavy user or there are multiple users  streaming video or playing games I doubt you will notice any practical difference between the two. In my mind when on Infinity contention ratio is not such an issue as it is on ADSL.

The important thing for me, if I was a business user would be the SLA

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Totally agree with the above post : contention is NOT an issue on FTTC products - backhaul congestion from the exchange perhaps. But what a business account does give you is a much tighter level of acceptable service that BT are obliged to maintain, As a residential customer you have to be prepared to spend hours either on the phone or here before anyone will 'help' you out from BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Thanks for the responses. 

We are a very heavy usage household - 1 desktop, 4 laptops, 4 iphones, couple of ipads and couple of apple TVs. All very committed to the full Apple infrastructure, so all devices are constantly syncing photos, music etc. So squeezing out every Mb of data possible is important.

Really surprised to hear that contention ratios are not relevant in FTTC situation. As it made a big difference on ADSL - i.e. peak times when all the village are online it grinds to a halt.

I'm not so bothered about the SLA aspect, and can handle the line going down at times.

I currently have an engineer booked for 10th June to install the Business line, but I'm really thinking I should quickly switch to a Residential account if can get even 10Mb/s more.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

As regards contention ratios, have a look at this link. It explains it very well and will save having to repeat it all here

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=12999.0

0 Ratings