cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Not checking for faults before migrating over

It seems to me an obvious working procedure to check that the service a customer has ordered can be fulfilled before

A. Giving a start date.

B. Notifying my current ISP that I'm leaving them.

The result is my household has had no Phone or Broadband for 9 days and there looks to be no resolve in the matter whatsoever, giving that BT are saying there's a capacity issue at the exchange.

Shouldn't this have been done prior to switching off my current services?

This would have saved hours and hours of explaining to customer services my situation, being called a liar and being lied to over the course of the week.

I don't expect any response from BT other than the usual scripted responses, as they are masters of empty promises and delaying tactics.

I was actually told by a BT engineer today, don't get your hopes up about having your services switched on in the next 6 weeks as BT do this all the time. I'm afraid I'll be out of a job, and even unable to organise any of lives necessities if this carries on any longer.

I feel this situation shouldn't have happened and could have been avoided with better working practices, or an I just being naive?

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Not checking for faults before migrating over

did you transfer using a MAC code ? if their is a capacity problem then that is to do with Openreach not BT retail your provider and it will affect all providers not just BT your current services were switched off by your old provider not BT
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Thanks for your response - It was all done via the BT website so they informed my old ISP (Sky) that I'll be moving over and arranged the date.

What could I have done differently?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

did sky give you a MAC code to give to BT without a MAC code there will be a delay in the new provider being able to provide service this is normally around two weeks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 24

@john46 wrote:
did sky give you a MAC code to give toBT without a MAC code there will be a delay in the new provider being able to provide service this is normally around two weeks

I thought the MAC process had now been replaced?

See  https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/MAC-replaced-by-NoT/m-p/1497451/

and  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9778/~/how-do-i-request-a-mac-code%3F

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 24

yes but we do not know when the OP placed his original order
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 24

also as it is a new system and bound to have its initial problems
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 24

Yes, but if the customer placed the order after June 19th then any delay is not due to them failing to obtain a MAC code from Sky as they no longer issue them.

You would hope that on the new process BT would check the capacity situation with Openreach before agreeing a service transfer date with Sky?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Exactly my point umpire.

Also Customer Services assured me that there will be only half an hours downtime - I have this in an email too.

By the way the order was placed on the 14th June.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

before the new system was started and recently there have been a number of posts were transfers from Sky to BT and other ISP's have been delayed and the new system also seems to be having initial teething problems to be honest trusting ISP's to transfer services between each other is in my mind very risky when I have changed providers i have always obtained a mac and given it personally to the new provider
0 Ratings