Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Not getting promised speed.

Hello BT forum

I am bit annoyed that I am not getting the speed that has been promisted to me by BT and openreach. The package I am on is infinity 1 unlimted with speeds up to 38mb. I get 26mb! 10MBs less than stated.

I have been on the phone to BT to tell them that there is something wrong with my connection. I go thru the step by steps with them everytime. (The one that gets me is the "let me log in to youe hub and change some setting" one).

I been sent 2 hubs as the first one was faulty kept dropping sync every morning kicking in the DLM and slowing my speed down the the min 22MBs. The 2sd hub comes no dropping out until 2 months ago. Speed now stays at 26MBs. I have had an engineer out to find nothing wrong with my line nothing at all and says that the speed I am getting now is all I am going to get and I "should be happy with that". No Piad for 38MB. when I got it installed it stayed at a good 36MB sometimes dropping to 34MBs. Until the hub went faulty.

I got the DLM reset by openreach and I stayed at 36MBs again but 2 months ago I am lucky to get above 29MBs. Openreach says that they can reset my profile but it would just go back to 26MBs again.

I feel I am being ripped off by BT for paying for 50% of the service I am getting. Also some websites are timeing out on me and my PS3 keeps disconnecting.

I don't know if BT will offer me a deal to stay as this has to be a breach in there contract with me.

Kevuk1983 

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 19

Re: Not getting promised speed.

Can you post your line stats from the HH5 please? These are in Troubleshooting/Helpdesk on the web interface at http://192.168.1.254

Lines 1-13 will be enough

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ42224907
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (Type A) Last updated 14/01/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 00:19:01
6. Data rate:9995 / 27399
7. Maximum data rate:10921 / 36773
8. Noise margin:6.3 / 7.3
9. Line attenuation:28.5 / 21.6
10. Signal attenuation:28.2 / 19.1
11. Data sent/received:1.1 MB / 7.3 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:

Yes

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 19

It's obvious you have a bad line probably due to a line fault.
You will need an engineer to attend and find and fix the fault.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 19

@kevuk1983 wrote:
9. Line attenuation:28.5 / 21.6
10. Signal attenuation:28.2 / 19.1

That ratio there, between upstream and downstream attenuation is indicative of a high resistance joint fault. 
Normally, upstream attenuation should be lower than downstream attenuation.  That is because the upstream bands used in FTTC are at lower frequencies, overall, that the downstream bands; and attenuation is proportional to frequency. So the upstream bands should, on aggregate, be attenuated less than the downstream bands.
But your connection shows the opposite. For example, your upstream signal attenuation is 28.2dB while your downstream is attenuated by just 19.1dB.    That's the opposite to the norm and suggests a high resistance joint fault between your house and the street cabinet.
VDSL2 is also an asymmetric service. This means that downstream and upstream capacities are not equal. In Britain, BT offers us 80/20, 40/20 and 40/2 FTTC services; all of them asymmetric services. Since the upstream bands occupy less bandwidth in the RF spectrum (and occupy the lower frequencies)  upstream attenuation should typically be less than downstream attenuation, on aggregate.   Your connection shows the opposite though.

Through lack of investment, BT's collapsing copper infrastructure is absolutely creaking at the seams; and these faults are very common, especially as repairs tend to be just bodged until the next time.   Perhaps BT should reimburse you for the period of lost service, and offer a generous ex gratia payment to retain your custom and demonstrate good will?!

Good luck getting it fixed, kevuk1983Smiley Tongue

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 19

So there is a fault on the line? according to what the upstream attenuation and downstream attenuation are saying?

If so how do I make the openreach see this and fix it? could phoning up to cancel my account force them in to addmiting this?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 19

Try this to see if it can see the fault https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/reporting.do?pageId=21
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 19

Thanks for waiting, we've tested your line and here are the results.
Telephone number checked 02476******
Results of line test
We cannot detect a problem with this line.
It may be caused by a faulty phone or equipment.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 19

Oh well. You need to request an engineer.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 19

If I do again for the 3rd time I can't afford to be charged £130 for the call out.

First visit fault found and fixed
Second visit: Nothing found (still waiting to see if I been charged for that)

If nothing is found this time I risk of being charged twice! if not once
0 Ratings