cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Not possible to connect my desktop pc to wireless, error 651

Hello,

I have recently moved to London from abroad and i installed Bt Infinity two (Home Hub 5). I have internet and wireless in my home. Any kind of smartphone and my laptop can connect to the wireless without any problem, but strangely not my desktop pc (Win 7).

When i try to connect it to the broadband it pop up a window saying me: Error 651. My pc perfectly connects through the ethernet wire but i wanted to connect it to the wireless in order to make it dialogue with the smart tv.

Actually in the connection centre at the bottom of my pc i can't see any connection available...

Any suggestion?

Thank you very much

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Not possible to connect my desktop pc to wireless, error 651

Are you sure your desktop pc has a wifi card fitted - or are you using a USB wifi adapter?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Thank you

I think so i am prety sure my pc has a wifi card, in the past in my previous home i connected it to internet , but maybe i am wrong. How can i check if i have it? And no, i am not using a USB wifi adapter.

the precise message is:

Connecting thru WAN Miniport (PPPOE)…
Error 651: The modem has reported an error

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Or try this hint, its for Sony, but also applies to others.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/hardware/sony/vaio/settings.html

or if its an old wireless card, it may not support WPA2, which is wht you cannot see your home hub. There may be updated drivers, if not, you would have to replace the card.

Also make sure the external aerial is prperly connected at the back of the desktop, as they can become loose, or partially unscrewed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Usually if you have a wireless card on a PC there will be an aerial stcking out the back. You can also check by going to Start > Control Panel > Device Manager > Network Adaptors > There should be a wireless network card listed.

If you do have a network card make sure that it is turned on. This is usually by a key combination such as Fn+ F9 or Fn +F3.  

Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Actually i haven't found it in that path,  Start > Control Panel > Device Manager > Network Adaptors >

Where is possible to find a compatible adaptor for BT Home Hub 5? I guess i have to buy it in order to connect my pc to the TV, isnt it?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

You could buy a wireless dongle which is easier to fit than a wireless card. You just plug it into a USB port. You are better to connect via an Ethernet cable if possible.

How/why are you trying to connect your TV to your PC?

Are you sure you don't mean connect the TV to the homehub and the PC to the homehub? This would allow a compatible DNLA enabled TV to stream movies from your PC provided you have it set up to share media.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Yes actually you are right, to see the content of my pc in the tv is exactly what i want to do. Currently my pc is connected to hub via ethernet, while my tv is connected via wifi. In the tv i see the Pc icon but is empty if i try to open it. Don't know why, i thought it was because my pc was not connected through wireless. My pc is connected to one of those device that take the connection from the wifi modem to the wires in the wall through the power socket. Its ethernet cable in any case.

By the way where is possible to find the Home Hub 5 compatible dongle? Is it dangerous to try to set it up with the ethernet connection already running? I am afraid of messing up all the network, but probably i am exagerating.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

If your TV is seeing the PC I would not buy a wireless dongle for the PC. It is obviously connected to your network and the TV is seeing it. A wireless dongle would not add anything.

When you connect your TV to your PC, provided you have a compatible operating system,  the TV will only see folders that you are allowing to be shared on your network. If you have not set up file sharing on the PC and have DNLA compatible media in these folder your TV will not see anything.