Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hagler
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Not receiving incoming calls.

Go to solution

Hi, i've just switched over to bt from virgin on 17th oct and have infinity working great and have a dial tone and can make out going calls but when i ring the home number it doesn't ring?

have done a search on here and found this thread

http://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/No-incoming-calls/m-p/253267#M10791

which seems very similar to my problem so will be contacting the mods to see if they can sort it as i have tried all the online advice and when i phone up i get the "usual reading off a script" and then they want to book another openreach visit.

Thx

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Not receiving incoming calls.

Go to solution

You will have to ask for help here first, before the mods will help.

Does your phone work if you plug it into the bottom socket of the new Infinity master socket?

If it does not, the report it as a "no dial tone fault" in the normal way.

0 Ratings
hagler
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution
hi and thx for your reply,

i have a dial tone in the "outer" socket and it's the same in the "test" socket but i can't receive incoming calls whichever socket it's plugged into.

thx
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution
then you need to report the fault to BT faults on 151 and tell them you have no incoming calls
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution
Can you try dialling 1470 17070 on your phone line. It should read back your phone number, you may well have the wrong number.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
hagler
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

thx for your replies, if i call my mobile it shows on my mobile as the correct number calling from my "home" number.

Sorry, i forgot to mention (been through this so many times on the phone) that i called virgin (who i used to have my phone service with) and they said that the request for porting my number had been received but hadn't been finalised in time so it had been closed? not sure what that means completely, but as i understand it when you are moving your number from one provider to another the "new" provider requests the number to be ported over, once it has, the new provider closes the procedure, it's this last closing precedure that i'm lead to believe hasn't happened?

If i call BT customer services they check the line and say it's all ok and want to book another open reach engineer visit but from what i've been lead to believe and from reading the other thread listed in my opening post, this will achieve nothing IF the number has not been ported over correctly - this is what i would like checked before i waste another half days holiday waiting in for an engineers visit.

Hope that makes sense, cos whenever i talk to cs i don't seem to be able to explain the problem in a way they understand.

thx for your help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Hi

I have come across this issue before where porting a number has resulted in no incoming calls, is it all incoming calls you cannot get or can you still get calls from other virgin customers?

If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
hagler
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution
I'm not getting any incoming calls but can't be sure any virgin phone customers have tried, I will try and get someone to try over the weekend.

After install I had the virgin wiring removed from their socket and have had it wired up as an extension for my bt line so unfortunately I can't plug in and test if the virgin line is still working or not but as I said virgin told me that the number hasn't been ported over completely yet when I speak to bt they say it has, not sure who to believe, I just know that since install we haven't had any incoming calls.

I have engineer visit booked for Monday afternoon but what will he be able to do if the number porting hasn't been completed correctly?

Thx
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

Hi

One other thing that you could try is to call your home number from your mobile, then when the call is ringing pick up your home phone and see if the call connects, the fault may just be the telephone exchange equipment not sending any ringing down your line.

0 Ratings
hagler
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution
Thx Dave, that's one thing I haven't tried so I'll give it a go tonight when I get home and post back the result.
0 Ratings