It's been like this now for a month, 2 weeks ago I called to get it sorted, only for them to make an error on my bill and try to overcharge me. They have since corrected that error, and I got put through to tech and after the usual "turn it off and back on" garbage they finally figured the problem was on their end of the line (I have gone through all the usual steps, and ontop of that replaced cables, checked for interference, tried different wired computers, different ports etc). They say they have sent someone to 'investigate' and that I'd here back in 24 - 48 hours. 2 weeks later nothing so the other day I emailed the forum mod, after a few responses theyhave sent someone to investigate again and will update me. I can't keep waiting like this I need this connection for work, and now I am 2 weeks behind on a very important project and BT keep saying they will fix it, it will get better etc but it's not it's getting worse and soon I'll have no internet.
The service today has been absolutely abysmal. had at times up to 50% packet loss, websites constantly not loading, timing out and getting stuck on "connecting..." and the websites are up. I've been using my phone as a modem and using the connection on that because it's a hell of a lot more stable and in most cases faster, Speed testers generally say I get between 0.1Mb and 26Mb. but due to the packet loss it really doesn't feel like it.
BT at my old address was as stable as anything, had a solid 67 days clocked on the modem at one time, only interupted because we had a power outage, now since the "upgrade" the connections been unusable.
I might just sack it off and change over to Virgin or something. I can't stand Virgin but right now I don't care so long as it works and I can upload my work. Should I wait to see if they fix anything, or just sack the whole thing off and change over to Virgin? Can i terminate the contract I have with BT as they have broken their end of the contract by not providing me with a usable service?
If I were you I'd wait as the mod who contacted you will remain your contact and keep you informed of any difficulties.
They are very good at solving problems like this.
If you don't get updated email him/her back and ask for one. They normally respond quickly but you must bear in mind they are a very small group who do their best for everyone contacting them.
ok I'll give it til the end of the week if no resolution has been met I will have to switch over (If I don't switch over or get this connection working properly I'll lose my job!)
I hope and expect you do get it sorted.
As your job depends on it why don't you do what I do and have a mobile wireless dongle on PAYG for emergencies. I only need to top it up in the unlikely event of a problem or once every 6 mths.
Because I'd have to take out a mortgage to cover the cost, I have a queue of files to upload that comes in around 460GB worth, got quite a bit of new work related project asset files to download as well.
Each project has around 200 - 300 PSD files, each around 8000x8000 (largest) and several hundred layers, these files reach around 1.5 - 2gb each. that's JUST the psd files, then we have the MAX files (3d models) although these aren't quite as big they do clock in around 20GB per project.Ontop of that we have the uncompressed ambient occlusion map images, those clock in around another 20gb and finally the 'baked' and compressed models (several revisions) come in around 3 - 4gb for all the revisions.
I think if I did that on my cellphone's network my phone would unplug itself and hide in a corner and my cell network would disconnect me
Fair enough didn't realise that, it was just a suggestion in an attempt to be helpful.
I would've thought though that with work like that you would have a businness connection rather than a residential one which has a different SLA and forum.
Thanks for the suggestion, I did have a look into business broadband but they seem more limited than the residential packages, this was last checked like 2 years ago but buisiness didn't seem to have any of the fibre products. I'll take another look. When I move into my new 2 bed perminant place I'll probably save up and get a leased line from BT. no point now though as I'm in a shared house and won't be here for long
I've had no connection for 4 days and BT can't seem to resolve it. They have an engineer coming to my house tomorrow to have a look even though they said its a fault their end on my line.
Asked about cancelling but they say they have a SLA to get it resolved before offering a free cancellation. Its already not worked for 4 days. How much longer do they think its acceptable to keep me waiting?
I've already called Zen and have talked though my options. Even if this issue occurs with them, they will have it fixed within a few days.
Zen package wouldn't have been a Business one though. It would have been Home just managed better.
When I was with IDNet I had a day or 2 or slow speeds (ADSL) and they sent a BT Engineer to my house the same day to test the line.