cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sutats
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Now experiencing slow and laggy broadband. What's going on?

Anyone else experiencing sluggish speeds as of yesterday afternoon? I can't even stream lowest quality youtube videos smoothly. I've tried both wired and wireless connections with the same result.

This was the BT speed test before and now with this current slow problem.

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed

6684 Kbps

0 Kbps7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 6684 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 2000-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8438 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 875 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 7444 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 3.7:16.3:80.0 (SBE:NBE:smileytongue:BE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed

662 Kbps

0 Kbps875 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 662 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 875 Kbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

This is the speed now:

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed

173 Kbps

0 Kbps250 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 173 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 100-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :286 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1049 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 252 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 4.95:18.86:76.51 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed

808 Kbps

0 Kbps1049 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 808 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1049 Kbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Notice the download normal speed (6684Kbps) and current speed now (173Kbps). It's appalling! Did someone decide to downgrade my IP profile from 7444Kbps to 252Kbps?

Please fix this problem. Thank you.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Now experiencing slow and laggy broadband. What's going on?

HI It looks as though you have had a series of disconnections
that has reduced your ip profile it is now a matter of leaving your hub on 24/7 for the next 3/5 days with no resets or disconnections and your profile will rise automatically you could also try the bt quiet line test dial 17070 select option 2 there should be no noise heard any noise that is heard should be reported to bt faults on 151 and once fixed broadband service should return to normal
sutats
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

john46, thanks for your reply. That's a long wait in this day and age. Also I've just now turned on power save, should I disable it?

My experience with BT broadband has been quite disappointing and unsatisfactory so far and I haven't even passed the 1 month anniversary yet. I really wasn't expecting my broadband service to be so poor. The only time it worked properly without hiccups was my first week. Since then, there's just been too many daily connection drops outs and now this massive slow down in speed doesn't help. I really cannot recommend this service to anyone given my unsatisfactory experience thus far.

I was with another large broadband provider for over 2 years before very recently moving to BT and I never had as much as a squeak of a problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

the massive slowdown is due to all the resets/disconnections which have dropped your speed which has resulted in your low profile - you can read here how speed and profile are related http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm

I would disable power save until you get connection fixed and stable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
sutats
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking.

Thanks imjolly, I've now disabled power save. Interesting read on the link. Hopefully before long I will have a fast and reliable dropout free service which I've paid for. I'm wishing upon a star here.

0 Ratings