Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Themoog
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Nte5c master socket plus extention.

Go to solution
Right.. I wanted to swap my old fashioned master socket for a modern NTE 5c mk4 with an extension to an RJ11 where the home hub will be. I connected two wires from outside to the A+B at the rear of the 5c and blue/white and white/blue from the extension cable to 2+5 on the inner faceplate of the 5c. At the other end of the extention cable the blue/white to 2 and white blue to 5 in the RJ11 socket. I had a dial tone when the phone was plugged into the front of the 5c but the router would not work from the RJ11. I also tried the router direct to the 5c via an Ethernet but it still wouldn't work.. Have I done something obviously wrong that I can't see? Should the extention be into 2+5 on the 5c or into A+B at the rear?
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Nte5c master socket plus extention.

Go to solution

You need to connect to the terminals on the back of the faceplate not the 2&5 extension connection. The front is the data extension connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Themoog
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Ah.. As I was typing the question I wandered about that. I take it you mean the a+b on the middle plate. Why does the rj11 need to be on there and not 2+5? Does the socket work differently from the old sockets?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Connections 2&5 are for phone extension and are filtered hence why phone works but no broadband. You need to use the data extension connections on back of front plate

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Themoog
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
Right. I connected the extension wires (blue/white and white /blue to a+b at the rear of the faceplate. Then connected them to the rj11 at 2+5. No joy. Router just flashes the red b. I also tried swapping 2+5 but still nothing.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

did you use a filter as well at data extension

0 Ratings
Themoog
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
No. Do I need to? I thought the 5c is filtered for extensions. I've followed davefrydoes.co.uk photo of the same set up and that states no filter required at the rj11.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@Themoog wrote:
Right. I connected the extension wires (blue/white and white /blue to a+b at the rear of the faceplate. Then connected them to the rj11 at 2+5. No joy. Router just flashes the red b. I also tried swapping 2+5 but still nothing.

Who provides your phone and Internet connection? Which router are you using?

0 Ratings
Themoog
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
Bt home hub. It's about 4yrs old. I'm not on fibre.
0 Ratings
Themoog
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
Sussed.. The back of the RJ connection is 3+4 not 2+5...
I ran a speed test before and depending on time of day it varied from 0.8 - 2.3 mbps.
I just did a test and it's at 6.87mbps at the moment. That's a big increase I think... Thanks for the replies.
0 Ratings