cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bungleberry
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Nuisance calls

In the past few months we've suffered a major increase in unwanted calls.

BT's online advice regarding how to deal with these nuisances is hopeless. I appreciate that some are from abroad, which makes them difficult for BT to address..

We've had TPS for years, but this seems to be widely ignored. BT says get the number, which is useless, because for most of them the display is 'Withheld'. And they won't give you their number. Some are recorded anyway.

BT also advises that some calls offer an option to hit a key to prevent future contacts from that company.. Now who is going to be stupid enough to do that?

How do you folks deal with these? Yes, I know all the obvious ones. like leaving the phone and walking away, or holding the phone up whilst testing the smoke alarm. But any really sensible thoughts would be welcome.

Are these calls actually illegal?

Finally, why does the BT website make it so difficult to send an email to them? You seem to get into a closed loop of standard topics.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Nuisance calls

Anonymous call rejection gets rid of most of these, apart from International ones, which I simply ignore.
I also have "choose to refuse" which also helps with those that won`t take no for an answer!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 3

Re: Nuisance calls

@bungleberry wrote:
In the past few months we've suffered a major increase in unwanted calls.

BT's online advice regarding how to deal with these nuisances is hopeless. I appreciate that some are from abroad, which makes them difficult for BT to address..

We've had TPS for years, but this seems to be widely ignored. BT says get the number, which is useless, because for most of them the display is 'Withheld'. And they won't give you their number. Some are recorded anyway.

BT also advises that some calls offer an option to hit a key to prevent future contacts from that company.. Now who is going to be stupid enough to do that?

How do you folks deal with these? Yes, I know all the obvious ones. like leaving the phone and walking away, or holding the phone up whilst testing the smoke alarm. But any really sensible thoughts would be welcome.

Are these calls actually illegal?

Finally, why does the BT website make it so difficult to send an email to them? You seem to get into a closed loop of standard topics.

Hi , your right they are a b****y nuisance, and you do need the telephone number to report to the TPS. If you have it , they will certainly take up your complaint, but as you have found out, a lot are witheld numbers quite a few are now  from abroad and BT do noit give out the number, although from my understanding they do know the country and the number but do not give it out because they believe it can be spoofed.

Keith in his post has told you of the BT options you have, like Anonymous caller reject, choose to refuse etc but to use these facilities you are paying a monthly payment for ever and a day. I believe about £6.50 a month for the 2 above, plus you still have the Inconvenience of InternationaL calls which BT will not block.

if yopu do a little search on google, you will come across a unit called truecall....Yes it does cost money, but it is a one off payment. Pay it and its yours.

Believe me, it  will stop withheld numbers, it will stop unknown numbers and more importantly it will stoip International numbers.

It comes with many other features and can be used as an answermachine, it also records 2 way conversations.

I have had a unit for 2 years and have been very happy with it and the support of the company.

I have no connection with the company apart from being a happy customer.

If you need more info you can send a PM.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings