cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adentonmiller
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

OK....another Whole Home WiFi request for help. 4 discs.

I am having problems setting up the BT Whole Home Wifi kit with 4 disks.

I have 300mbps FTTP into the house, and a BT Home Hub 5 as the router.

I bought two 2 disc WHWF kits from Currys for £99 each, thinking that 4 discs should cover my house. The house is an old Victorian one and has some fairly thick walls.

The router is in the centre of the house in the cupboard under the stairs. So I put the first disc there and connected it via Ethernet. No problem.

The next disc went in the dining room and reported an excellent connection. All fine so far.

This is where the problems started. I opened up the next 2 pack of discs (which obviously have a different preset SSID). Connected that to the router via Ethernet as instructed, waited for the blue light and then went to place that in the kitchen, which is about 10m away from the disc in the dining room - and is in line of sight through an archway. The app reported this as being an excellent location as you would expect. But when the disc boots up, it turns orange and reports a bad connection. The sometimes it goes red and dissappears from the app completely. My phone shows excellent wifi connectivity at this location. 5 bars out of 5.

10m between discs. Line of sight. Poor connection. Really?????

As for the 4th disc, despite repeated factory resets and syncronisations using ethernet to the router, it seems to go orange or red no matter how close it is to another disc. Literally under a metre away and it still does it. It also does not appear in the app no matter what I try - however when it is connected by ethernet, it can be seen in the web interface. So it's functional and devices connect to it, but it seems there's no backhaul to the master disc unless connected by ethernet.

I have changed the SSID of the network to something other than the stock name. And that is the only wifi network name being broadcast. The 4th disc kept on broadcasting it's original name, but doesn't seem to be doing that any more.

Anyway.....can anyone help please? I had hoped this system would do away with the multiple networks and powerline extenders I used to have, but so far no joy at all.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: OK....another Whole Home WiFi request for help. 4 discs.

@adentonmiller

It may be best if you posted your question on the main thread, where the product expert is there to help.

Introducing BT Whole Home Wi-Fi

0 Ratings
adentonmiller
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Will do - thanks!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

@adentonmiller wrote:

Will do - thanks!

It makes it easier for the product expert @Dan-O as they only have to monitor one thread. It also puts all the answers in one place.

0 Ratings
TwoDaves
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

I have the same issue, just purchased two kits today expecting to add the two discs from the second pack to the first two. Did you find a solution?

0 Ratings
adentonmiller
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

I did. It mainly came down to resets and patience. Since then, the 4 disk setup has been working flawlessly.

See the main thread on these for some more detail. Sorry for the short reply, but I am travelling right now!

0 Ratings